. .
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Or better still produce a bootable disc which does the equivalent of a windows disc. Lets face it we want to make our machines work.
    Sorry but it can't be more simple than this that I posted earlier in the thread

https://forum.linuxcnc.org/9-install...nt-iso?start=0

it is an ISO so you can copy it to a dvd or use Etcher to make a bootable USB you might have to go into the bios to change the boot order for the usb.

You have to remember that cd and dvd drives ore disappearing .

Edit: To use Etcher download the iso then fire Etcher up and use that to flash the usb

https://www.balena.io/etcher/?ref=etcher_footer
    Last edited by Clive S; 16-10-2020 at 06:49 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by John11668 View Post
    I must admit that I get mightily perplexed by the jargon these software folks speak .
    I am not illiterate , nor am I unintelligent , but I am totally at a loss with their instructions , and the software I have looked (like Rufus ) is anything but intuitive.

I've a wry smile on my face as I type this. If you think that is bad... welcome to LinuxCNC :)

Yes, I know you're talking about the ISO burner, and I'll admit to not having tried that particular package, but you're gonna need a cup of tea and a pack of HobNobs if you're going to get your head around LinuxCNC. Standard setups are fairly straight forward, but go off piste and you'll be grinding your teeth.

Lives in St Annes on the Sea, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 34 Minutes Ago Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 159. Received thanks 19 times, giving thanks to others 6 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by John11668 View Post
    I must admit that I get mightily perplexed by the jargon these software folks speak .
    I am not illiterate , nor am I unintelligent , but I am totally at a loss with their instructions , and the software I have looked (like Rufus ) is anything but intuitive.
    I am an engineer , I can do a bit of wiring, and have a passing aquaintance with rudimentary electronics . I am also English..
    Why cant the software guys speak english too?

Or better still produce a bootable disc which does the equivalent of a windows disc. Lets face it we want to make our machines work.
    We dont want to be software gurus.
    Hi John
    I would be happy to burn you a dvd with the mint Linux and linuxcnc 2.8.0
    I have used this very dvd today to set the HP of that arrives this week
    Instal could not be simpler. Power on the pc. Open the dvd tray and pop in the dvd disk
    Power off and then back on and press f9 and f10 repeatedly
    You will get a boot selection screen. Select disk and wait a few seconds
    Mint will start to boot up from the dvd

Once into the mint desktop there is disk icon on the desktop that you click to install mint and linuxcnc onto the desktop

Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by depronman View Post
    No it appears the pc in question doesn’t like the booting from a pen drive
    Paul
    Come on...im not going to send you a PC that works :-D

Lives in St Annes on the Sea, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 34 Minutes Ago Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 159. Received thanks 19 times, giving thanks to others 6 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    I've a wry smile on my face as I type this. If you think that is bad... welcome to LinuxCNC :)

Yes, I know you're talking about the ISO burner, and I'll admit to not having tried that particular package, but you're gonna need a cup of tea and a pack of HobNobs if you're going to get your head around LinuxCNC. Standard setups are fairly straight forward, but go off piste and you'll be grinding your teeth.
    I could not agree more Doddy
    Every time I think I understand linuxcnc configuration I realise that I don’t
    But I am getting there and the linuxcnc forum is excellent

The stepconfig wizard gets you the basic machine up and running then you built it up from there. I’ve eaten more than one packet of chocolate hobnobs

Don’t forget the parport configuration that I posted yesterday this tool me all evening to work out that the parport must be disabled in the bios This allows it to be seen along with a pci parport by Linux
    This makes no sense to me but it worked on both versions of Linux and on linuxcnc 2.7.14. 2.7.15. 2.8. 2.9

Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to depronman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BernieNUFC View Post
    Come on...im not going to send you a PC that works :-D
    It works perfectly Bernie, just doesn’t like booting from a pen drive
    Give it a dvd with the iso on it and it was as happy as Larry
    It just took me some time to find my box of blank DVD’s. The mrs had put them somewhere safe

I guess bootable pen drives were not a thing in 2009

I still can’t get over how quiet the HP PC is you can hear a pin drop when it’s on

Cheers. Paul

9. The Following User Says Thank You to depronman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzer View Post
    You should be able to boot off a USB pen drive but did you make it a bootable drive first? Many (most?) laptops don't have DVD drives these days, so it's a common thing to do.

Installation gets easier each iteration it seems. https://forum.linuxcnc.org/9-install...inuxcnc#184773
    Yes the pen drive is bootable. It’s been used to boot into Linux on numerous different PC’s laptops and even a MacBook Pro

I also entered the PC’s boot menu just after the bios

When I burned an dvd with the iso the pc booted up find using the dvd

Paul

Hi folks and thanks for the flurry of constructive help.
    I have managed to make a boot drive , installed linuxmint as an OEM install wiping all other stuff on the way, and am accessing this forum via LM.
    Will clearly get used to it and when I do I will download linux CNC.

May need a socially distanced gathering to set up CNC but could just about manage that with someone sitting on top the Bantam, the washing machine (for overalls ) would be a comfortable perch in the other corner , and if someone doesnt mind sitting on the Khasi then we could just about manage ,

Hobnobs or pasties depending on preference , and tea for man and beast.
    Who would need a Forum??

All I need now is to get this "Effing" TCL 125 into running order and I think I am getting close .
    Maybe still need some help on the spindle relay to get there

I have managed to make a boot drive , installed linuxmint as an OEM install wiping all other stuff on the way, and am accessing this forum via LM.
    Will clearly get used to it and when I do I will download linux CNC.
    Did you do it from the link I gave you.

If so you also have linuxcnc.
    You mean like this:-
    and am accessing this forum via LM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Might need a LinuxCNC expert here - can LinuxCNC and the real-time kernel be easily installed on a Mint base installation? (I've only ever installed the LinuxCNC/Debian prebuilt package?

Reason I ask, John, is if not you may need to install the LinuxCNC ISO image similar to what Clive links to, in which case I wouldn't go too far down the path you're following, if you find yourself re-installing down the line

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information