. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi. I would very much like to figure out how to do a mechanism, including a display and keyboard control panel and a stepper motor, in order be able to imput manually the distance I want to raise and lower the table saw blade, and get away of the handle and ruler method. Preferably without involving a pc unit. So if you have any ideea, please let me know.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61145324_1316831378473131_3544754651054211072_o.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	348.1 KB 
ID:	28994

The simplest and cheapest way to get an accurate idea of the position would surely be to use an off-the-shelf DRO unit - you'd still need to manually wind the blade up and down though. Adding a motor (geared) to do that with UP and DOWN switches wouldn't be difficult either, but I've not seen a control unit for sale that would let you set the height - unless a plasma torch unit could be adapted maybe??

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Hi Radu
    This should be possible with an Ardueno or similar, but regrettably i can't help with that, if you do a search for Ardueno stepper control that should get you a result.
    I had a similar problem with my Robland combi and opted for the Felder digital handwheels that i now in use on the thickness planer and the Spindle.
    Don't know if this will work on your setup it depends if you have a Metric screw on the table mechanism. I had to make a 2 to 1 gearbox to get mine sorted, Robland had a 4mm pitch screw but the Felder Dials were 2mm per revolution. obviously the Ardueno method is a better option.
    Regards
    Mike

Lives in Derbyshire  UK, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 57 Minutes Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 295. Received thanks 28 times, giving thanks to others 13 times.
    There is a small controller you built yourself that drives a stepper motor via a keypad with a small screen so the user does not have to input G-code or use a computer, all it takes is a key press that would work on this saw project for you.
    You can set up a program with it to do division so a certain amount of turns of the stepper lifts the saw blade to a given height and same in reverse to lower, this you would need to workout yourself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	28998

Phill

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Hi Phill
    Could you point us in the direction of a link or name of unit ?
    Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Hi Radu
    This should be possible with an Ardueno or similar, but regrettably i can't help with that, if you do a search for Ardueno stepper control that should get you a result.
    I'd +1 that as a stand-alone solution - have a calibration point using a proximity sensor for blade position to give a known position (or just a general "Set 0" button), then an alphanumeric keypad and display (and the software that sits behind it all) to drive a stepper/driver. All very do-able. Question is to OP as to whether that's a project he's willing and able to undertake.

Lives in Derbyshire  UK, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 57 Minutes Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 295. Received thanks 28 times, giving thanks to others 13 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Hi Phill
    Could you point us in the direction of a link or name of unit ?
    Regards
    Mike
    No problem,http://www.worldofward.com/rotarycontroller/shop/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to phill05 For This Useful Post:

Hi Voicecoil.
    If I understood right from what you said, a DRO unit is just an indicating unit. It is not a bad ideea, but I am inclined to attemt to make a magnetic device with a dial indicator on top, or something far more simpler (I do not know what yet :P) that serves the same purpose. I'll keep in mind the ideea. There are a few unit on ebay that can indicate 2 axis, and come with glass scales, around 200$ + transport. The approach it different from what I had in mind. (one home switch that zeroes the blade, and then a metric command given to a motor), but it might still work. Thank you.

Hi mekanik.
    The mechanism that raises the blade is the one in the photo. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	121785597_1809621082527489_3285727331710569769_n.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	29015. The machines were build here half a century ago, so I believe all is metric.
    The thing that bothers me when working, is getting on my knees to see the ruler indicator on the thicknesser and to position a metal ruller next to the blade when cutting tenons or other similar stuffs on the table saw. I had in mind the stepper motor approach, because a couple of years ago, with the assistance of some very patient guys on this forum, I managed to build a cnc machine, so I know a bit more about this things, rather than arduino. But it is on my bucket list to learn arduino, and conquer the world with an army of tiny drones..whuhaha. :P

Hi phill05.
    I like very much how this thing looks. Just to make sure, I got it right. I need to order those 6 items, then do some soldering, then do some settings via the keypad. No programming required. No pc.
    It totals around 100 pounds plus international postage in my case. Can be payed via paypal. Did I get it right? Also, is is possible to buy an already assembled unit, or this is the only way available?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information