. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi. I would very much like to figure out how to do a mechanism, including a display and keyboard control panel and a stepper motor, in order be able to imput manually the distance I want to raise and lower the table saw blade, and get away of the handle and ruler method. Preferably without involving a pc unit. So if you have any ideea, please let me know.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61145324_1316831378473131_3544754651054211072_o.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	348.1 KB 
ID:	28994

The simplest and cheapest way to get an accurate idea of the position would surely be to use an off-the-shelf DRO unit - you'd still need to manually wind the blade up and down though. Adding a motor (geared) to do that with UP and DOWN switches wouldn't be difficult either, but I've not seen a control unit for sale that would let you set the height - unless a plasma torch unit could be adapted maybe??

Hi Voicecoil.
    If I understood right from what you said, a DRO unit is just an indicating unit. It is not a bad ideea, but I am inclined to attemt to make a magnetic device with a dial indicator on top, or something far more simpler (I do not know what yet :P) that serves the same purpose. I'll keep in mind the ideea. There are a few unit on ebay that can indicate 2 axis, and come with glass scales, around 200$ + transport. The approach it different from what I had in mind. (one home switch that zeroes the blade, and then a metric command given to a motor), but it might still work. Thank you.

Hi Radu
    This should be possible with an Ardueno or similar, but regrettably i can't help with that, if you do a search for Ardueno stepper control that should get you a result.
    I had a similar problem with my Robland combi and opted for the Felder digital handwheels that i now in use on the thickness planer and the Spindle.
    Don't know if this will work on your setup it depends if you have a Metric screw on the table mechanism. I had to make a 2 to 1 gearbox to get mine sorted, Robland had a 4mm pitch screw but the Felder Dials were 2mm per revolution. obviously the Ardueno method is a better option.
    Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Hi Radu
    This should be possible with an Ardueno or similar, but regrettably i can't help with that, if you do a search for Ardueno stepper control that should get you a result.
    I'd +1 that as a stand-alone solution - have a calibration point using a proximity sensor for blade position to give a known position (or just a general "Set 0" button), then an alphanumeric keypad and display (and the software that sits behind it all) to drive a stepper/driver. All very do-able. Question is to OP as to whether that's a project he's willing and able to undertake.

Hi Doddy.
    This is what I had in mind. A proximity sensor for zero-ing the blade before each command, and a keypad, to imput a measument and hit enter. I am sure it is very do-able, for the people who know how. I am not one of them. :p Btw, I would very much prefer to not have a pc included in this equation. There is some will and some ability to put in practice the project. The "how" thing, it's a whole other story.

Hi mekanik.
    The mechanism that raises the blade is the one in the photo. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	121785597_1809621082527489_3285727331710569769_n.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	29015. The machines were build here half a century ago, so I believe all is metric.
    The thing that bothers me when working, is getting on my knees to see the ruler indicator on the thicknesser and to position a metal ruller next to the blade when cutting tenons or other similar stuffs on the table saw. I had in mind the stepper motor approach, because a couple of years ago, with the assistance of some very patient guys on this forum, I managed to build a cnc machine, so I know a bit more about this things, rather than arduino. But it is on my bucket list to learn arduino, and conquer the world with an army of tiny drones..whuhaha. :P

There is a small controller you built yourself that drives a stepper motor via a keypad with a small screen so the user does not have to input G-code or use a computer, all it takes is a key press that would work on this saw project for you.
    You can set up a program with it to do division so a certain amount of turns of the stepper lifts the saw blade to a given height and same in reverse to lower, this you would need to workout yourself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	28998

Phill

Hi Phill
    Could you point us in the direction of a link or name of unit ?
    Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Hi Phill
    Could you point us in the direction of a link or name of unit ?
    Regards
    Mike
    No problem,http://www.worldofward.com/rotarycontroller/shop/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to phill05 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information