. .
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    There's some silk-screen printing on the board (first pic) - a box surrounding a 2x3 grid of holes filled with solder, with XYZ printed against these. You'll need a bit of solder wick to clean the solder out of the holes/pads, then get a 2x3 0.1" pitch header, insert into the board and solder in place. Then you need a a cable form to connect into there (many choices, google Dupont connectors) - to make off the cables for the axis sensors. and run these to each of the three axis microswitches.

Something like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0456.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	245.6 KB 
ID:	29009

Is all you need, and could be in the post tomorrow if you can't source them yourself.

Thanks, What about the Probe, I presume I need to get the correct socket for the probe lead, solder that to the three holes and take two wires to the solder pads marked Probe

I have had a look on amazon but there are so many sizes, but cant seem to find anything 0.1 in size, I would like to fit some sort of connecter on the back of the unit so I can actually plug the wires to the limit switches into that

Looks like, from here, a 3.5mm jack socket, or a barrel-jack, something like...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0458.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	29011

But without measuring kinda guessing.

You'd use EITHER that or add another 2-pin connector to the Probe inputs, then take the wires to the probe.

EDIT:

Okay, just read your reply - yeah, it could be a good idea to eat some holes into the case and mount some appropriate chassis connectors, then route these back to this board.

Thanks for your help, sourced the parts I needed and you were spot on with the pitch of the pins,I got all I need from radio spares except the jack socket for the probe, I think I failed to add one to my order and never noticed.I
    The six micro switches are all fitted, just need to wire them up, can you tell me the best way to wire them bearing in mind the controller I have and the Mach3 operating software, in parallel or series?

You don't "need" the jack - you could just use a pair of the 0.1" headers and a 2-way socket. But horses for courses.

You don't need independent X/Y/Z inputs - you could wire all microswitches, normally-closed contacts in series. Or, keep it simple and wire each pair for each axis in series.

I would recommend reading the Mach3 manual - it deals with this quite well. In particular read up on homing switches and soft-limits.

Thanks for that, the pcb has three holes for a Jack socket and a hole in the cabinet that lines up with it also marked probe, so I thought I would use it, I have decided to take things one step at a time, however I have been reading older threads dealing with limit switches and Home switches, I am now not sure whether I am doing things correctly, as I initially thought they were the same thing, on the pcb it has a 2x3 pin header marked XYZ is this for home switches or limit switches?

Just re-read your reply now I am confused, limit switches, homing switches and soft limit switches?

Limit switches I think you understand already. Home switches are used to establish a position on an axis. Soft limits are software imposed limits, given a known reference point (eg home position). So with homing sensory/switch and soft limits you don’t “need” limit switches. It’s all in the manual.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information