. .
    Is there anything that will cause a problem if I install a stepper driver into the control cabinet but do not always have the 4th axis stepper motor connected to the driver. I would turn the mill off before either conencting or disconnecting the 4th axis stepper motor

simple question is will it harm the stepper driver if powered up but not stepper motor connected to it ?

If this is a problem would fitting a switch in the stepper driver power feed be the right resolution ?

Cheers,
    Paul

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 417. Received thanks 61 times, giving thanks to others 10 times.
    Shouldn't bother the driver, as long as (as you say) you don't disconnect the motor when its actually powered up.

On my 4th axis, I isolate the mains feed to the servo drive by flicking a circuit breaker to save power etc when not connected. That's a simple and safe way to do it. No point having it powered up and doing nothing.

If your system requires all axes to be homed before you can use it, you might have an issue. On my Acorn system you can turn off the 4th axis and also disable homing for 4th axis anyway. Similarly, if you have an error / status signal back from the driver to your controller, you'd need to check it wouldn't cause an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzer View Post
    Shouldn't bother the driver, as long as (as you say) you don't disconnect the motor when its actually powered up.

On my 4th axis, I isolate the mains feed to the servo drive by flicking a circuit breaker to save power etc when not connected. That's a simple and safe way to do it. No point having it powered up and doing nothing.

If your system requires all axes to be homed before you can use it, you might have an issue. On my Acorn system you can turn off the 4th axis and also disable homing for 4th axis anyway. Similarly, if you have an error / status signal back from the driver to your controller, you'd need to check it wouldn't cause an issue.
    Excellent I will arrange a switch to break the power on the A axis stepper driver. Agee with no point having it power up when most of the time it will not be used
    I think I configure linuxcnc to not home the A axis no switches on it any way

Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information