. .

Thread: Humour

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Friend of mine went for a job as a lathe operator. They turned him down...
    I was offered a job as a Noise Control Officer, I had to turn it down.

When I was at school, the favourite trick was to put some steel on the surface grinder, with the chuck turned off, bring the wheel down and see if you could get the metal embedded in the far wall.

What do you call a man of many parts?

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    What do you call a man of many parts?

Kit
    MFI flat pack - always has a bit missing.

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post

When I was at school, the favourite trick was to put some steel on the surface grinder, with the chuck turned off, bring the wheel down and see if you could get the metal embedded in the far wall.
    I did similar when grinding accross my Sine bar.
    Except mine bit a sizable chunk out of the wheel and got the machine running frighteningly out of balance .
    I hit the E stop but it had to run down through a resonance band , Got much worse before it got better.

Quote Originally Posted by John11668 View Post
    I did similar when grinding accross my Sine bar.
    Except mine bit a sizable chunk out of the wheel and got the machine running frighteningly out of balance .
    I hit the E stop but it had to run down through a resonance band , Got much worse before it got better.
    We did it with the motor off. Then switched it on when we casually walked past.

I have heard that the trick in school and college engineering shops is to set the lathe on autofeed to self destruction. At my school the lathes had autofeed disabled and that was 55 years ago.

One of my mates managed (heaven knows how) to engage the long trav feed, while he still had a screwcutting feed engaged . (interlock must have failed )
    Machine started to grumble , then got louder and louder until there was an almighty bang, and the saddle split front to back almost across the centre .

He was mortified , but the training school seemed to accept it as par for the course

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    MFI flat pack - always has a bit missing.
    That might be nearer the truth!
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information