. .
    Hi folks.

Well I jumped ship and have lived and worked in France for over 15 years, now a "wrinkly" I no longer work and pass my time by trying to keep out of the way of 'er indoors and flying my microlight aircraft around France.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipster 1024 pixels.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	217.6 KB 
ID:	29042

I am now wanting to create aluminium parts for my bird and presently learning Fusion 360 for the cad/cam part of the process. So far so good.

I need help because I know less than zero regards cnc milling machines.

What I think I need is a machine that will.

have a working surface probably 600x400 able to work on a piece 70/80 mm high min
    able to work aluminium au4g and/or 7075
    Have a reasonable level of accuracy, but I am not looking for space craft quality

I have a computer that is presently running Fusion 360 with a I7 processor.
    What other control units/parts will I need

Not wanting to break the bank but what sort of price scale would I be looking at, is it worth looking for a used machine from someone on here
    who is looking to upgrade.

Looking forward to your replies/comments and suggestions

Phil

Welcome aboard Phil.

Now that really is from the minimalist school of aeronautics! Even 'Little Nellie' looks like a heavy lifter by comparison.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitwn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    Welcome aboard Phil.

Now that really is from the minimalist school of aeronautics! Even 'Little Nellie' looks like a heavy lifter by comparison.
    Thank you Kitwn. Not such a light weight really she has a lot of grunt, 130 horses from a BMWK1200RS.

Some of the parts need attention after years of wear and tear, holes have become slightly oval and some parts simply "may" benefit from different approach to manufacture and mounting.

We are fortunate in France, with an amateur / home build machine (fully registered as such) we have the right to make/modify our machines without the hugely restrictive regulations that stifle innovation in GB, a bucket of worms not worth opening.

I am amazed how quickly I am picking up the very basics of Fusion 360 and after creating a cad file for one part I need, a friend who is a home cnc machinist
    checked over the file for me.

This has now whetted my appetite to try and create this and other parts. With the exception of bearing mounts and bolt hole diameters position and size, absolute accuracy is not important. I guess the bolt holes can be cut and then finished with reamers, I am guessing of course.

phil

Attachment 29049

Thread Information