. .
    Hi All
    Looking for advice please on the above board, in the manual for the above board it references M3, M4, M5, (Spindle) as a newbie to all this. How does it connect to the speed controller for the Spindle?,
    Are M3, M4, M5 the connections to the Spindle port that is labelled A, Com, B.? The manual says normally open common normally closed.

Thanks in Advance Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Daved01 View Post
    Hi All
    Looking for advice please on the above board, in the manual for the above board it references M3, M4, M5, (Spindle) as a newbie to all this. How does it connect to the speed controller for the Spindle?,
    Are M3, M4, M5 the connections to the Spindle port that is labelled A, Com, B.? The manual says normally open common normally closed.

Thanks in Advance Dave
    Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum.

M3, M4, M5 are G-Codes, and they instruct the machine to Start the Spindle Clockwise, Anti Clockwise, and Stop respectively. For a hobby CNC, you probably only need to worry about M3 and M5.

The controller you've mentioned, if I'm looking at the right manual (link below), has a relay for the spindle control. When the controller receives an M3 code it will trigger this relay. A should be normally open, B should be normally closed. The COM is the common.

The manual talks about speed control, but doesn't suggest a pin to set it to, so I suspect this is just an "On/Off" for the spindle via this relay.

To help further, we'd need to know more about your spindle and the spindle controller you're using. Photos (once you've got 10 posts under your belt) are always useful.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/attac.../428470.attach

Hi Andy

Thanks for the reply, currently slowly building around study and work, and as yet I have no spindle. Gathering info so I can get the correct type
    That is the correct unit and on page 27 it gives the settings for the 3 codes and you can choose the output pin in the software
    M3 set to pin 1 (me presuming A) and the other 2 unset but the option of Pins 1 to 7, wondering where those pins are and presumably the speed would go to the PWM of any controller but which is the speed pin.

cheers Dave

I would suspect that the "pin number" is referring to the microcontroller, or the simulated LTP port, so its not straight forward. Pin 1 goes to that relay, and by the looks of things pins 2 and 3 go to the Mist and Flood pins further up.

I could be totally wrong, but my suspicion is that when the controller gets an M3 code, it closes that relay. That means COM and A are connected, and COM and B are not connected. When the controller gets an M5 code, the situation reverses and the relay opens. That means COM and A are no longer connected and COM and B are connected.

I can't see any spindle speed output on that controller. It looks like just an on off switch. But again, could be wrong...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyUK For This Useful Post:

Thanks again Andy
    Tested M3 and 5 and the relay opens and closes as expected. if pins are assigned in the settings I do get a notice at the bottom of the software screen saying they are active and working.
    I did have a thought that the manual speed control could be assigned (Need to test).
    I was getting confused a little with the codes 3,4 and 5 in the way it is setup in the software next to selections for on/off, direction and speed.
    My plan now is as I don't require the coolant function at this point, but would like the speed, I will hook my scope up to the flood and mist pins as currently setup, reassign in the software to speed and direction and see if I get anything.

I don't think you can control the spindle speed with this board as it doesn't have an analog output or speed controller built into it. The speed control it mentions in the manual I think is an analog Input where you connect a POT to control the Feed rate. The Relay is just used to Start/Stop the spindle.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Cheers Jazz.
    I have managed to have another look at the manual, it does say that the spindle speed and direction can be done but I fear you may be correct. But not to worry when I get the spindle setup I will try with a potentiometer and then connect my scope to see if the PWM signal can be found.
    I am sure it will do for now either way.
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    D

Thread Information