Hi All,

I'm about to venture into the world of CNC. I run manual machines; Colchesters, Bridgeports, surface grinders, and so forth with several years experience of manual machining. I am however totally green to CNC and high speed milling. Ive been using Fusion 360 for about a year for modelling and have the full package for work. I'm now in need of a CNC Router for aluminium. Work will generally be 2D within 400x400x20mm with occasional surface topography.

2 things really,

Firsty if anyone who has been on the same path could recomend some advice on a detailed beginners guide to follow, be it a book, website, or indeed a series of You Tube videos on the warts and all basics of CNC Gantry Routers and all associated control software, motors etc. At the moment im standing at the bottom of what seems like a huge learning curve!

Secondly, my budget is perhaps optimistically minimal, around £1600, ideally less!!! Ive boiled my search down to Sorotec hobbyline or Stepcraft D Series but im still fumbling around in the dark. Any advice on an affordable, user freindly, ridgid set up that will tackle Aluminium would be greatly recieved.

Many thanks,

Paul.