. .
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    It links to "invalid attachment"

Quote Originally Posted by jarjar View Post
    It links to "invalid attachment"
    I tried opening it in edge and it also didn't work, I do not know how attachments work here so I changed the host. it should be visible now.

Why the big cutout for the motor? Looks like a big waste of material and it certainly won't help with the stiffness of the fixed ballscrew bearing block.

For the gantry I would make a much bigger section, ideally square. EG is not very stiff at about 30 GPa.

Quote Originally Posted by jarjar View Post
    Why the big cutout for the motor? Looks like a big waste of material and it certainly won't help with the stiffness of the fixed ballscrew bearing block.

For the gantry I would make a much bigger section, ideally square. EG is not very stiff at about 30 GPa.
    Actually that's because I wanted to make a universal casting for the belt assembly, and that meant all axes would have the same belt config, belt length etc. like this: https://i.imgur.com/5XeRLwY.png

The x_axis actually sits on a structural steel plate that provides the necessary stiffness and connects the x_axis with the supports.
    Last edited by hardenum; 18-11-2020 at 09:45 PM.

Did I miss it, what is the gantry section size?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolaguca View Post
    Did I miss it, what is the gantry section size?

it's 280x140mm

I'm building a steel gantry router and I wanted to go with 200x100 steel tube but was given the advice to go with 200x200 because you're not just fighting gravity but cutting forces as well (and torsional forces when the z axis is lowered down)...

I'm using 250x250x10mm steel tubing for the gantry at 1300mm lenght to get the stifness I need.

Power supply

I've seen a toroidal PSU is a popular choice. I've also read that it can be quite dangerous to work with, as in getting electrocuted. I have octopus fingers, they get into all sorts of places without my permission, which usually results in cuts and wounds, I'd rather avoid any potential dangers, I'm quite clumsy in general. What are my options here?

AC/DC

I'm also confused about the fact that these (eg. https://www.cnc4pc.com/unregulated-l...oidal-psu.html) output DC, if I got AC servos, how does that work? Do I convert it back to AC?

Thanks!
    Last edited by hardenum; 18-11-2020 at 11:28 PM.

There's nothing any more dangerous about a toroidal PSU versus any other PSU of similar voltage and wattage. However, I think you might be slightly confused though - I'd expect that you'd be buying the servo with a matching servo driver. Looking at lt Lichuan 60's on Aliexpress - that's certainly a common bundle. In which case - check the datasheet, but the servo drivers would likely be 220VAC mains driven, and in which case you wouldn't need the high power, high voltage toroidal PSU. Or maybe I'm too tired and I've missed a point in your post?

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    There's nothing any more dangerous about a toroidal PSU versus any other PSU of similar voltage and wattage. However, I think you might be slightly confused though - I'd expect that you'd be buying the servo with a matching servo driver. Looking at lt Lichuan 60's on Aliexpress - that's certainly a common bundle. In which case - check the datasheet, but the servo drivers would likely be 220VAC mains driven, and in which case you wouldn't need the high power, high voltage toroidal PSU. Or maybe I'm too tired and I've missed a point in your post?
    I will definitely be buying a matching driver(amplifier) from lichuan. I really have no idea about powering electronics, I probably don't even know the questions I should ask. What's confusing me is that the servo's are AC and the recommended PSU outputs in DC.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information