. .

Thread: I need help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello, I’m trying to set up my 6040 and I’m having problems with the VFD. I’m hoping you can help. I don’t have a manual and I have looked at some videos but can’t figure it out. I have figured out the power input wires(blue/brown/yellow greenish) but know I have the spindle wires to connect up. Some videos say I need to earth it (which I don’t know how) and others just connect up the three wires(UVW) I’m a moron at electrics. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Ok well to be sure you really should post some pictures so we can see what you have. However, regards the OUTPUT wires then usually you can connect any of the U V W wires in any order, then if the spindle spins the wrong way swap any 2 wires over. You don't usually need or even have an Earth on the Output side.
    Obviously you need to connect the INPUT Mains Earth wire, also the cable going to the spindle should be a shielded cable and you take the Shield to the Mains Earth. Don't Gnd the shield at the spindle end.

However, to be sure before doing anything I suggest you show us what you have.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1B90EBA9-6D83-456A-BB6C-1D522BAA93F8.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	316.1 KB 
ID:	29148

Wires to the left are power input in and the wires to the right are from the spindle. Sorry I had issues trying to upload pics. So I have the power sorted and now just need to figure the red, yellow and black wires on the right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1B90EBA9-6D83-456A-BB6C-1D522BAA93F8.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	316.1 KB 
ID:	29149  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2EAB9359-1088-4998-9D5B-CC07DC21AF0F.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	344.4 KB 
ID:	29150

So can I put any of the red, yellow or black wires on any of the UVW screws and it will work and if the spindle is rotating the wrong way then I just change the wires around on the VFD ??

Yes - mains in brown and blue go to R and S. Grn/Yellow goes to the ground terminal no 9. Three wires to spindle go to UVW. If the spindle goes the wrong way, just swap over TWO of the spindle wires. Doesn't matter which two.

Ok well thank you Jazz. You have been a massive help. I don’t know if you know but I have to ask. Should I program the VFD. I have all the info needed to do it but I’m not sure if it will be preprogrammed. My direction would be to program the VFD and then follow your instructions to finish off the rest. I just don’t want to blow anything up or fry anything. What do you think ??

You might find this thread helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus0121 View Post
    Ok well thank you Jazz. You have been a massive help. I don’t know if you know but I have to ask. Should I program the VFD. I have all the info needed to do it but I’m not sure if it will be preprogrammed. My direction would be to program the VFD and then follow your instructions to finish off the rest. I just don’t want to blow anything up or fry anything. What do you think ??
    It takes just a few minutes to check the parameters so it's worth giving them a quick look at because not all are setup.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information