. .
    i have a Chinese 9060 2.2kw router and i am having problems with the y axis losing steps occasionally, i thought i would replace the cable and wire it direct, could someone point me in the right direction on the cable to use please, regards mike

Are you talking about the cable for the spindle? That ought to be screened, 4 core CY cable is the sort of stuff you want, though there are some more flexible types available at a bit of extra cost if that's an issue. Ground the screen solidly at the control cabinet/ VFD end, leave it floating at the spindle end to avoid earth currents.

Hi, no it it’s the stepper motor cables I’m thinking about,, I’m losing steps occasionally mostly in the Y axis, it was something Dean (Jazzcnc) said about connecting the wires direct to cut down the problem, not sure if shielded cable is required for the motors, regards Mike.

CY will work well for steppers as well (pretty good go-to cable for power drives). Shielded helps to avoid propagating noise into any limit switches that you have - it's no bad thing.

There's possibly other reasons for missed steps, however, so I wouldn't go balls-out with a full installation (assuming its a bugger to rewire) without testing a quick swap to see if it does resolve your problems.

+1. Under what circumstances do you tend to lose steps? Iif you slow down the feed rate does the problem go away?

Thread Information