. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy-J View Post
    Can I just clarify that although your diagram shows 3 limit switches I can protect both ends of all 3 axis travels using 6 switches?
    Yes I only used 3 as an example, you can have as many as you want in the chain within reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy-J View Post
    I wish to use your suggestion of using separate limit and home switches, if I do how should they be mounted to prevent hitting the limit before hitting the home switch, or vice versa? Or can I mount a home switch and limit switch on top of each other and Mach 3 sort out which switch is activated when either homing or hitting the limit? I hope I have explained this question correctly here.
    Well if your using separate switches then HOME will always be before the LIMIT SW, which is the main reason for having them separate, so if when HOMING the switch fails and the axis doesn't stop then eventually it reaches the LIMIT SW.

So you'll need to place the HOME SW so that it's before the LIMIT SW. When placing the switches you don't want the SW so they get hit HEAD-ON, so to speak, ideally you want them to get RUN OVER when triggered so if something does go wrong or you hit them at high velocity the SW doesn't get wiped out.
    Often this is done using ramps to trigger the switch, then if axis goes too far the ramp just rides over the SW.

There are several ways to do it and often the machine and space dictates which works best.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Thank you JAZZCNC for all your help, I now feel I have all the necessary information to carry out this modification to my 6040. I will report back here to you when I have completed the work, always assuming I don't have to come back here to ask for more of your help first.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to guide me forward on this modification.

Kind Regards

Roy

Hi JAZZCNC & Clive S,

I am pleased to report that following your expert help I have completed the upgrade to my CNC 4060,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210101_154619.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	29320 and now I have limit switches on all axis and separate home switches as well. I followed your guidance to the letter and I encountered no problems at all and it all works superbly. I can't thank you both enough for the support you gave me as I was more than a little nervous about the electronics side of this work but once I got into it, and using your wiring diagram, I found it really quite straightforward. I have attached a photo showing the finished upgrade and once again thank you both so much.

Kind Regards

Roy

Roy. Thanks for the kind words and glad you have it working.

I notice you have a handle on the stepper. That generally is not good unless it is very light as it will add a lot of inertia.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Hi Clive, thanks for the heads up, I only refitted these to make it easier for me to manually fine tune the limits and home switches, I will be removing them before next using the machine.

Once again thank you for your help.

Kind Regards

Roy

Hi Roy I’m new just bought 6040 too with Sumtor board and I have the same problem as you! Can you post the plug in config on the board?
    Hope you are well and sorry for my poor English!

Quote Originally Posted by Tosty Bo View Post
    Hi Roy I’m new just bought 6040 too with Sumtor board and I have the same problem as you! Can you post the plug in config on the board?
    Hope you are well and sorry for my poor English!
    Without dismantling my control box to allow me to take photos I don't know how else to help you out here. If you carefully follow the thread from the top all the information you require is there, try that first and if you are still having issues come back here and I will help you further.

Regards

Roy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information