. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Gosh I am out of date. Mind you, the power feed I am rewiring uses a DIAC for the speed control so I am not completely passed it

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 5 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 417. Received thanks 61 times, giving thanks to others 10 times.
    Yes, I remember them. Presumably used in the gate of a triac or scr, then. That dates the controller, as that threshold function has been built into triacs for many years now. I'd guess 1980s, most likely.

1980's? Warco sold it as new

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 5 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 417. Received thanks 61 times, giving thanks to others 10 times.
    Perhaps an SCR drive then, as SCRs don't have a 30V threshold on them. But even so, the market for diacs is very limited these days.

What's it driving? Is it a triac or an SCR?

SCR that's the beastie, my ageing brain has obviously succumbed to the barrage of transient ischaemic attacks.

Fortunately, I can still understand how the circuit works even if I can no longer name the individual components

Motors and PSU have arrived, I wasn't actually expecting them before 10/1/21

Look great, comfortably heavy.

I read the manual and just when I thought it must be reaching the bit about the USB connection it suddenly stopped, repeated itself in German and ended.

Guess you aren't supposed to use that part

Good luck mate.

Upto about 100$ some steppers are ok for better stuff.
    After that, ac brushless servos are the right choice - about 5-7x better by every possible measure.
    About the same money, all-in.

Lets see how it works out for you.

A bit late now, I am already compensating for my poor choice by printing lightweight handles
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	handle2.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	29283

I had large cast iron wheels like that on my Bridgeport. I couldn't get a decent response from the DMM servos until I removed them. Their moment of inertia was much bigger than the ballscrew itself and the reflected inertia of the table and vise, particularly on the X axis which had 2 of the buggers. As I have an MPG, turns out I never use the handwheels anyway but your solution would be a pragmatic middle way.

Oh yes, don't give up on your handles, I am fighting to keep the dials. What is MPG? Miles per gallon doesn't seem to fit the context

Not fighting to keep these ghastly, spring-loaded, press in before you can turn it handles though.

New handles need paint - wondered if aluminium coloured paint existed - had forgotten about alloy car wheels - spoilt for choice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	millhandle.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	374.9 KB 
ID:	29287

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information