. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1
    I need to make some parts from some reasonably hard (shore 80A) rubber, just wondering how possible it is to machine it? Anyone ever tried it? It would save a lot of time and money over moulding them.

  2. #2
    A Long time ago I machined some 10mm thick rubber gaskets for a vacuum tanker and it went well enough but I think the thickness helped and it was reasonably hard stuff. Used a single flute cutter and cut in one pass.
    If it's thin stuff I think I'd use a board on top to hold down and cut thru both at the same time.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

  3. #3
    can you freeze it ?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    A Long time ago I machined some 10mm thick rubber gaskets for a vacuum tanker and it went well enough but I think the thickness helped and it was reasonably hard stuff. Used a single flute cutter and cut in one pass.
    If it's thin stuff I think I'd use a board on top to hold down and cut thru both at the same time.
    Thanks for the info, mine is about 20mm thick and so should be reasonably self-supporting I guess: quite a thickness for a single pass cut though!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    can you freeze it ?
    That's a good suggestion, however I don't have a fridge in the workshop (it's quite cold enough as it is to not bother about food going off ), but I guess as long as I'm quick I could stick it in the freezer at home and give it a quick squirt of aerosol freezer when I get in.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Voicecoil View Post
    Thanks for the info, mine is about 20mm thick and so should be reasonably self-supporting I guess: quite a thickness for a single pass cut though!
    Ye don't think I'd be trying 20mm in a single pass but I seem to remember I was surprised how easy cut. I think it's a little like cutting soft aluminum where taking a big bite works better because it keeps the heat down.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

  7. #7
    I thought rubber was usually ground so I just googled rubber grinding and there it was

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    I thought rubber was usually ground so I just googled rubber grinding and there it was
    That's an interesting idea and yes, it seems a lot of rubber parts (particularly softer ones) are ground. I've added a carbide burr onto my APT order, it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

  9. #9
    I cut some polyurethane at 30000rpm with new, razor sharp 3 flute HSS cutters and oil free flood coolant (I've done some with air too), around 1mm DOC per pass, the parts were 10mm wide 1.5mm wall tyres for a steel tape labelling machine, they came out really nicely.
    There is no good, useful info out there on machining rubbers and polyurethanes, most of what has been offered is misleading or unhelpful, like "freezing" ;-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:


  11. #10
    Thanks for the advice. BTW, what diameter cutters were you using please? - it would be useful to get an idea of a workable SFM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Rubber/plastic flexible strip for swarf exclusion
    By Voicecoil in forum Swarf & Chip Management
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-09-2019, 12:04 AM
  2. RFQ: Need something machining?
    By HiltonSteve in forum Projects, Jobs & Requests
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-09-2018, 04:47 PM
  3. FOR SALE: Open End 3M HTD Rubber belt 15mm wide
    By wiatroda in forum Items For Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-06-2011, 03:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •