. .
    Got a request to make some extra long wooden train track for my daughter. Decided to make a short video along the way . . .
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

It wood have been in 6082. wouldn't it
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

6082 is even more expensive than genuine brio !
    So Homebase’s finest pine it is then . . .

Love the sexy music, and that toolchanger is to die for!
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

I’ve had that spindle for more than 10 years and have only just discovered that it has a built in ATC :-)

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    I’ve had that spindle for more than 10 years and have only just discovered that it has a built in ATC :-)
    Then the alarm went off and you woke up in the real world.

On a more serious note: That video prompted me to look back at some of your machine build videos and your very inovative Y and Z-axis design with two sets of rails and ballscrews for each. How is the machine behaving and do you believe the extra effort and expense for that design was worth it? I considered something along the same lines at one time thinking that the 'zero overhang' design would give high rigidity from a relatively lightweight construction.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

I’ve been very pleased with the machine and it is working great. It is currently limited by lack of mist spray (no compressor and ‘Santa’ says it’s not on the list this year) so chip welding can be an issue.
    The other factor is the spindle which is only 1.5 kW and can bog down. But I built the machine to allow for spindle upgrades as a future project.

It is certainly stiff enough for aluminium cutting which is what I do mostly now (except the above video!). It will also do steel although just key ways and small parts using small end mills. I think doing lots of steel would be better with high torque lower speed spindle (or a mill !)

I would say you can do aluminium on a regular gantry as well but I found on my previous one after lots and lots of aluminium parts it was starting to sound and feel tired. So it depends on the mix of materials you plan to cut and if you have a mill (I don’t)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

A slightly old post but I've recently had requests for the CAD for this piece of track so here it is in IGES format. Most CAD software can read that including Fusion 360.

Wood_Track_Straight.zip

10. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Thread Information