. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    first off sorry if this is the wrong place to post it i'm new to posting here

i have one of these cheap usb controllers for mach 3 i'm using in a 190vmc conversion and all of the axis' work perfectly however i can't seem to get the spindle to work for me at all, i've looked all over trying to find how to use the 10v analog output for the speed, whatever settings i change i always get a 0v reading from the terminal, somewhere showed them using one of the output pins being used as a pwm signal, couldn't get that to work but that would be a 24v pwm signal so would need a voltage divider and RC circuit to smooth anyway.

and yes i do have the power hooked up to 24v

i've gone through a paraport bob and now this trying to get things to work right and am starting to think i should have just spent the money on a smoothstepper, would that make life a bit easier?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201225_152458.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	758.3 KB 
ID:	29288  

Doesn't matter which controller you are using if you don't wire it correctly or set it up correctly then it won't work.
    However that said I wouldn't use USB on any CNC machine it's just not stable enough for me but that's another story.!

Which terminals are you using.?
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

I have it wired up right i've checked it, like i said the axis all work and the outputs switch fine but i cant get anything from the 10v output, no terminals give any reading in relation to the 10v terminal so i'd think its floating in relation to everything else, if thats the case would you say the boards busted or i just need to play with more settings

So which terminal are you calling the 10v terminal.? I know you say you have it wired up correctly but it's not working so maybe you don't.? It's easily done.!

I can't say if it's busted or not but I can tell you that if just 1 setting is wrong or you are on the wrong terminals it won't work and it's more likely to be something like this than being busted.!

The terminal in the corner of the board that's labelled 10v, i'm aware the wires for the spindle aren't hooked up in the picture i sent as i didnt want the spindle to spin up then shut off every time it got an enable signal while i was trying to get a signal from the terminal

Quote Originally Posted by Lahdiel View Post
    The terminal in the corner of the board that's labelled 10v, i'm aware the wires for the spindle aren't hooked up in the picture i sent as i didnt want the spindle to spin up then shut off every time it got an enable signal while i was trying to get a signal from the terminal
    Right well, I don't know this board but I've seen plenty like it. I'd take a guess that the 10V is the reference voltage that you would need if you used a potentiometer for analog inputs, etc, the actual terminals you'll need for 0-10V will be ACM and AVI.
    DCM and any of the outputs you would use to control Forward or Reverse.

If you show me the VFD I'll tell you which terminals to use but they are often marked with Similair labels ACM = (0V) analog common, AVI = Analog voltage (0-10v)

DCM = Digital common and usually FOR or REV.

I'm inclined to agree with Jazz on this one...

From this image...,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2020-12-27 at 19.33.36.png 
Views:	344 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	29289

The "10V" terminal looks to be the (input) supply to a charge-pump (simple RC) circuit, with the cap discharged through the switching of the local opto-isolator. There's a trace through a transistor that drives the AVI signal. My bet - this speed control is electrically isolated from the rest of the main board, and the ACM (gnd) AVI (0-10V output) - connect to the Spindle controller AVI (input) and 10V (*** INPUT TO THE BOARD ***) which needs to be connected to the 10V reference on the spindle controller.
    Last edited by Doddy; 27-12-2020 at 08:53 PM.

Ah okay, i've never seen a lot of those acronyms before, i'm not using a VFD as its for a 190vmc conversion the controller is a lenze534 and i've already sorted the reverse relays for that
    I just got the spindle working controlled from an external power supply too so i think im sorted with those connections

I'll try these suggestions and see if i can get anywhere with it

Quote Originally Posted by Lahdiel View Post
    Ah okay, i've never seen a lot of those acronyms before, i'm not using a VFD as its for a 190vmc conversion the controller is a lenze534 and i've already sorted the reverse relays for that
    I just got the spindle working controlled from an external power supply too so i think im sorted with those connections

I'll try these suggestions and see if i can get anywhere with it
    Okay, if I was trying to sort this out this is what I'd be doing:-

1) On the Lenze, establish the +V, Gnd and sense lines. On the Lenze 531, these are pins 9, 7, 8 respectively. The user manual should confirm that, and it sounds as though you know these already with the speed control that you have. From herein I'll use those acronyms ("+V", "Gnd" and "Sense") in relation to the Lenze controller. At least one Lenze manual refers to these as "E", "A", and "S".
    2) Confirm Lenze.+V is 10 Volts, or thereabouts wrt the Lenze.Gnd terminal. Don't proceed it this is wildly off. Note, Lenze.Gnd may be (will be) floating above equipment earth - so take care with measurement and avoid shock hazard.
    3) On the USB-BoB, confirm with DMM on resistance range, Open-line (OL) - very high resistance (>10MR) between terminal [BOB.ACM] and [BOB.GND]. Do not proceed if not.
    4) Repeat for [BOB.10V], to [BOB.GND]. Expected: Open-line (OL) - Do not proceed if not.
    5) Repeat for [BOB.AVI] to [BOB.GND]. Do not proceed if not.

At this stage you can expect the BOB variable output to be electrically isolated from the main BoB circuitry, Power everything off.

6) Connect [BOB.ACM] to [Lenze.Gnd]
    7) Connect [BOB.10V] to [Lenze.+V]
    8) Connect [BOB.AVI] to [Lenze.Sense]

Test. I would not connect the PC to the USB board until I've observed the absence of magic smoke from the BoB.

But that's just me.

I’ve just finished a boxford vmc190 conversion to linuxcnc
    I can confirm that what doddy says about the lenze controller 10v and ground terminals floating at a rather high voltage
    My lenze grd floated at 110 volts and the terminal which needs to be at 10volts to get full speed floats at 120 volts all measured against the machine ground
    There is an isolation board which should be bolted to the end of the lenze controller
    The lenze connects to the isolation board using terminals 7,8 & 9 from memory. The isolation board then connects to the BOB and it isolated the floating voltage of the lenze controller

On my vmc190 the isolation board had failed so I had to work around the floating voltage issue. I used a diycnc board which uses step and direction from the BOB and creates an isolated 0volts to 10volts that is feed into the lenze. There is also a relay on the diycnc board which is used to switch the lenze controller on and off. It all works perfectly
    My vmc190 is now installed in the workshop and not that easy to open up the electronics bay but I did take some photos of the wiring so ask away and I will help where I can

Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information