. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in nantwich, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 04-01-2021 Has been a member for 1-2 years. Has a total post count of 6.
    Hi, im Mike from Cheshire. Im new to cnc and haven't yet bought my first machine and I am looking for some advice in the first instance on what to get. I am a mechanical engineer so I would be happy to build a kit but I dont have tonnes of spare time to build from scratch as I have a new baby. Want to use the machine to cut plywood for making jigs, toys, crafts etc. I need a machine that has about 80mm of z travel so I can machine 3d forms in wood and looking for 2ft x 3ft working area ideally but that may not be possible. I want to spend between £500 - £1000.
    Be great to hear from you if you have any suggestions or threads I should read. I am new to forums in general so this is my first I have joined. Looking forward to chatting.
    Mike

Welcome, Mike.

Firstly - "you're new to forums in general" - there's a great bunch of guys here, but we can be a bit salty at times. Don't take anything too personally and understand that any advice offered (however it's presented) is likely to be founded on years of experience. Don't mistake unpalatable truths as an argument.

As I'm the first to reply, I'll offer the obvious reply - £500-£1000 isn't going to buy much. If you look at the Chinese machines on eBay and the like a 2ft x 3ft translates into a 6090 machine (the YYXX translates into YY axis size (cm), XX axis size (cm)). You can't find one of those new in your price range. To be honest, you wouldn't buy the bits new to build your own for your budget. I've used the word "new" twice, now, so I think you should be able to guess what's next - I'd keep an eye out for second hand machines. Even then you're going to struggle a bit within your budget.

Its good to see another joining the fun.The first and ,for me, the most obvious question is whether you have software for designing the intended projects or experience in using it?It would be annoying to have a machine sitting there ready to go and no way of generating the programs.Further to this you will need to find software that has a post processor which works with your-as yet- non-existent machine.It may be that it will also cost an amount of money.I would suggest you get familiar with the design and programming aspect of things while hunting for a machine and you might find it useful to view simulations of the sequences.There is a piece of software called Camotics which will allow you to view machining operations from your Gcode.It isn't fast but it is free.

Until a few months ago there was widespread enthusiasm for Fusion 360 as it was free and did quite a lot.Now it isn't quite such a bargain and a few people have switched to Freecad,which lives up to it's name but isn't the most intuitive piece of software.It does include a number of post processors for hobby machines.Enjoy the process of navigating the maze of choices and then get creative!

I wouldn't give up on Fusion yet. It's still a great bit of software, even the free version which actually has most of the features you'd ever need for CAD and CAM in one environment. Unlike FreeCAD, it has been developed by professional software engineers and is generally very robust. And being a Scottish blooded Yorkshireman, I'm very happy with the value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Firstly - "you're new to forums in general" - there's a great bunch of guys here, but we can be a bit salty at times. Don't take anything too personally and understand that any advice offered (however it's presented) is likely to be founded on years of experience. Don't mistake unpalatable truths as an argument.
    Now why do I get the feeling Doody was prepping you for ME.!! . . .

Anyway I'll give the best advise your going to get today.!! . . . . Don't waste your money buying anything that only cost's under £1000 and is sold as new.! . . . .Unless you want to waste money, material and expereince having an hair pulling frustration that will quickly become an expensive door stop.

It's just not possible to build a machine that is any good and make money selling it for under £1000, not even for the Chinese. Like Doddy says, it will be hard to even buy the components, etc to build a machine yourself that is worth the effort.

Most of the Kits you see are weak or poorly designed, most come with inferior componets or are optional extras that quickly bump the price. It's also common to see people buy these machine with the mind set of upgrading at a later date, but this never works out well or cheap, because as my favorite saying goes " You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear".

You'll be better advised to save up, do some research to learn what's involved using a CNC machine and the software required. Most programs can be downloaded and used demo or run in simulation mode so that you can learn CAD, CAM and create G-code files which you can then load into the machine control software and simulate every process of cutting the parts on your PC, just without the actual machine.
    Then when you do get a machine you are off and running straight away.

Also, consider DIY building your own machine, this is by far the cheapest way to get the best CNC machine, it just takes more time and a little patience.

If you can't DIY build then I'd suggest like Doody you look at second hand, but again you'll need at least £1000 for anything half decent because any decent machine will cost that amount for the components alone so not many will sell at this price unless desparate for cash.! . . . Pretty much anything lower than £1000 will be compromised in some way and probably best avoided unless you know what your buying.!

The biggets mistake new users make is rushing out and buying cheap.!
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Lives in nantwich, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 04-01-2021 Has been a member for 1-2 years. Has a total post count of 6.
    Hi guys, thank you for the responses that's really helpful.

OK so on the CAD side I use Autodesk inventor (and have used most other cad packages) proficiently so I'm all good there. I've not used Fusion360 before to create tool paths but I will be fine with that side of things after some practice im sure.

I understand that my desired budget is a bit low, good to know at thr outset and I could raise it if needed to get something that will last me.

I'd like help to know where to go with regards to finding out which diy designs to look into, that would be really helpful. I would need to know what equipment I would need access to.

On the new side, if I reduced my size aspirations a little and looked at off the shelf machines like x-carve and shapeoko are these worth a look or are they not up to much?

Thanks so much for the replies, really cool!
    Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Now why do I get the feeling Doody was prepping you for ME.!! . . .
    Moi?, If I wanted to call you a salty-arsed Yorkshireman, I wouldn't pull the punch!

Lion/Mike, I'm curious and somewhat disheartened - you're ignoring the advice already trying to compromise on your requirements to try to get down to a price that is unachievable in the shiny-new domain. Space envelope is the last thing I'd sell out on - you have a good understanding of what you are looking for and that's not all that generous for sheet timber. unfortunately machines don't scale cost/price proportionally - you have fixed costs for the drive systems, control electronics spindles, etc. Yes, building big does add complexity and cost, but not at the rate that you can scale down from a 3'x2' machine to come under budget and still have a useful machine for you.

Re. the X-Carves/Shapeokos, yes, ask for real-world experience of these with the type of work you're looking to perform. They're not in the league of the machines that Jazz et all build, but are they adequate for your need? See if there's someone local (50-100 miles!) prepared to give you a demo of one (conventional currency is usually HobNobs for a chin-wag).
    Last edited by Doddy; 29-12-2020 at 12:38 AM.

Thanks Doddy. Not compromising yet on size just wondering what each option would get me and whether they are worth a thought. New is nice obviously but not needed.
    With regards to a machine that Jazz would make it sounded like that was out of budget too. Second hand is good for me but I have very little idea what type of machine I need to look for at this stage and what style design is best for my needs, predominantly cutting part sheets and with some 3d capability.

Its useful to know that the OP has good CAD experience as that will be very helpful.He now faces the transition to exporting his CAD models to a package that will generate Gcode and this could erode his budget unless the machine is controlled by something that is pre-configured in the software.Custom post processors either need a bit of knowledge or the cash to pay somebody who has the knowledge.You need to get hold of more than just a machine,there is software and tooling to take into account.

Thanks Routerdriver - good advice I will look into that area too. I expect that its a bit chicken and egg - i.e you need to know what machine to know the software or vice versa?

Ive been looking into my plans (small business idea) and I think I can increase my budget to £1500 as I hope to make this back with sales.

Sorry to sound like a complete scatterbrain but if we were looking at £1500 what does that do to the prospect of a machine that will cope with ply cutting?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information