. .

Thread: lubrication

Hi, I bought a conect cadet lathe and if anyone knows the lubrication points on these lathes i would really appreciate some information.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    They're based on a Myford ML10, so have a search for an ML10 manual.

Lubricate the ways with some slideway lube.
    Depending on age, spindle will either be babbit bearings, which will have oilers, or taper roller bearings, which will have grease nipples.
    I have no idea what oil the oilers need, but I'm sure searching will turn up lots of discussion from Myford owners about how using the 'wrong' oil will result in instant self destruction (I'd guess any reasonable engine oil will actually work well enough).
    Grease wise, a single squirt of lithium grease, probably every 20-50 hours of operation will be more than enough. Bearings don't actually need that much grease, and too much grease is as bad as too little grease. After greasing, run the spindle at a relatively slow speed for 15 minutes to give the excess grease a chance to work it's way out.

Ballscrew wise, when I had a Connect, I used to occasionally take of the Z-axis ballscrew cover, and put some suitable ballscrew grease on to the screw.
    X-axis, I'd do the same, but access depends on what age of lathe you have and where the stepper is mounted.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    They're based on a Myford ML10, so have a search for an ML10 manual.

Lubricate the ways with some slideway lube.
    Depending on age, spindle will either be babbit bearings, which will have oilers, or taper roller bearings, which will have grease nipples.
    I have no idea what oil the oilers need, but I'm sure searching will turn up lots of discussion from Myford owners about how using the 'wrong' oil will result in instant self destruction (I'd guess any reasonable engine oil will actually work well enough).
    Grease wise, a single squirt of lithium grease, probably every 20-50 hours of operation will be more than enough. Bearings don't actually need that much grease, and too much grease is as bad as too little grease. After greasing, run the spindle at a relatively slow speed for 15 minutes to give the excess grease a chance to work it's way out.

Ballscrew wise, when I had a Connect, I used to occasionally take of the Z-axis ballscrew cover, and put some suitable ballscrew grease on to the screw.
    X-axis, I'd do the same, but access depends on what age of lathe you have and where the stepper is mounted.

<deleted... OP obviously has found the Conect sub-forum>
    Last edited by Doddy; 02-01-2021 at 09:53 AM.

Thread Information