. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Hello all,

Had the time and materials to make a bunch of example badges that I'll be sending out to a builder in the states. Three versions, aluminium, brass and copper with and aluminium surround. All use a bit of resin too.

Anyway, all the best and a Happy New Year - has to be better than the one we're seeing out, huh?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	273.2 KB 
ID:	29308 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	342.0 KB 
ID:	29309 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	296.0 KB 
ID:	29310 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	263.4 KB 
ID:	29311 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	368.2 KB 
ID:	29312 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	29313 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	274.7 KB 
ID:	29314 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	29315 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	29316 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	274.9 KB 
ID:	29317

As usual excellent work.

Happy new year Wal.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Cheers Dean,

Likewise, all the best..! 👍

I predict one very happy customer. Super work Wal.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

As always... somewhat in awe!

You done these before?, worth figuring out a shake & bake test before shipping, though they look superb. You taken up macro photography as a hobby-sideline?

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    As always... somewhat in awe!

You done these before?, worth figuring out a shake & bake test before shipping, though they look superb. You taken up macro photography as a hobby-sideline?
    Hi Mike,

They're a freebie for a guy who I may or may not get to make some 'real' ones for. Only real cost to me is the time, but with Christmas etc. I thought why not - I enjoy making 'em and the pics are useful for a bit of self promotion down the line.

Heh, the macro photography is literally my dad's old loupe which I place in front of the little lens on my ageing HTC phone. A fair bit of distortion, but it gets the idea across..!

A Happy New Year to you.

Wal.

Wal,
    Love the close-ups with the loupe, very artistic!

One thing that occurs to me is that many beginners, including me, must be asking the question "What sort of machine do I need to make work like this?" Was it your DIY mill? Obviously it takes more than mere hardware to produce such brilliant results but such info will help beginners get an idea of what can be done with a specific quality of build.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Hi Kit,

Yeah, the badges were cut on my DIY mini-mill. Nothing exotic (parallel port, analogue drives, TBR supported rails) - I guess the crucial thing is being realistic with feeds and speeds (you'd never make these things at scale using the gear I've got and expect to make any money...) and using sharp tools. I'm pretty sure that these could be made on a bigger router, provided that it's reasonably robust. The cutting forces aren't that great when using conservative feeds and fresh tools - problems usually stem from trying to do things too quick on gear that doesn't like to be pushed. Further to that there's the resin work and the polishing - both take a bit of time and effort to get right but it's not rocket science. Follow the instructions, be patient and take a bit of pride in what you're doing - usually pays off..!

Wal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wal View Post
    Hi Kit,

Yeah, the badges were cut on my DIY mini-mill. Nothing exotic (parallel port, analogue drives, TBR supported rails) - I guess the crucial thing is being realistic with feeds and speeds (you'd never make these things at scale using the gear I've got and expect to make any money...) and using sharp tools. I'm pretty sure that these could be made on a bigger router, provided that it's reasonably robust. The cutting forces aren't that great when using conservative feeds and fresh tools - problems usually stem from trying to do things too quick on gear that doesn't like to be pushed. Further to that there's the resin work and the polishing - both take a bit of time and effort to get right but it's not rocket science. Follow the instructions, be patient and take a bit of pride in what you're doing - usually pays off..!

Wal.
    Thanks Wal,
    I think that kind of information is really useful. It's important to give beginners the right balance of understanding about what is possible on a limited budget and a machine which is clearly not built up to the standard of the best professional products but is still very capable. It's a difficult balance to put people off wasting their money without giving the impression that that you cannot make something usable for less than X,000 quid (dollars, yen, lire as appropriate).
    You then need to learn how to drive your creation to the best of it's abilities.

As ever, nice work Wal.

I bought one of those cameras sold for picking your ears - it has a 20mm focal length and illumination https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-In-1-Ea...cAAOSwO0VeJ~E-
    It produces reasonable images for £6 - This is inside a harmonica showing a faulty windsaver valve. The end of the valve is 2mm across.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20210101_15_40_14_Pro.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	29323

The biggest problem is holding it steady enough as the depth of field is very poor. I can't use my dad's loupe as he was an accountant.

Happy New Year FWIW.

Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information