. .
    Bit off topic but you guys seem ideally suited to help.

I'm half way through building a DIY vertical panel saw (see pic below). I would like to have some sort of digital read out of position, both vertically and horizontally. Instead of using a rule scale. The horizontal length is 4m which reduces my options (either not possible to get or insanely expensive). I seen these cheap ones which wouldn't work, but is there something in between the 20 quid ones and the 20 grand ones. Obviously its just for rip cutting sheets so the tolerance doesn't need to be down to the micron.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201227_212450.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	29318

Thanks

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thanks. Seems I'm looking at 500-1k when I've all the bits sorted. It's a big jump from a cheap tape scale.

Is there any cheap optical type sensor that might do the same.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I don't think you're going to get a cheap optical sensor at the distances required.
    Linear optical usually relies on glass scales, which is going to be expensive at the lengths you're looking for, and I'd say the accuracy will be wasted.

It's probably worth having a look at Heidenhain magentic tape system - https://www.heidenhain.co.uk/en_UK/p...near-encoders/
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thanks. I had spotted a cheap chinese 2 axis version on Aliexpress and thought it might be worth a chance for 150 quid. Might try it first, just out of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by nacimroc View Post
    Thanks. I had spotted a cheap chinese 2 axis version on Aliexpress and thought it might be worth a chance for 150 quid. Might try it first, just out of interest.
    If you need 6mtr tape I worked the price out at about £200 but still seems a good price.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

I can`t help with your dilema but your project is a fantastic idea.

I have always fancied a panel saw but they are a bit expensive to say the least, it certainly looks promising.
    I will add it to my list of projects that might get done eventually.

Good luck

Ollie

Thread Information