. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just a note on the Wago's - I tried them once (inside my current cabinet, PSU-side) - on 3d-printed retaining clips onto a DIN rail. In a completely static cabinet they're not too bad, but I keep looking longingly at DIN terminals. I wouldn't use them at all for interconnects to motors/sensors etc - they're not designed for an installation intended to be subject to movement. They offer little over DIN terminals other than perhaps cost, and can be fiddly little buggers.

GX25?, they come in 25s? I might need to investigate those!, but for stepper drivers, etc, I've always reverted to the 4-pin XLR connectors. They can still be a bit of a challenge with the limited space in the back-shell, persuading 15mm of stripped cores into the right sequence.

The Amphenols?, beautiful connectors (talking multiway circular connectors... in a nice olive-green) - cut my teeth on those on an early apprenticeship. Definitely the connector of choice if you've bottomless pockets.

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    I've been using XLRs for motor connections and have no problems with them. You can also get Ethernet connectors in an XLR shell which makes the connection a bit more workshop-suitable than a standard Ethernet connection (the XLR has one of these inside but provides mechanical stability). I always use heat-shrink sleeving on individual wires on these connections, including the GX16 signal connections. Makes wiring a bit more fiddly but worth it for reducing the risk of broken connections and shorting stands.

Looks like the xlr are very popular.

Doddy, don`t worry I wont use those wagos for the machine, I was just remarking on their ease of use really. I was hoping for some similar type of method but more suitable for movement. I had initially thought of those nice connectors found in cars with the rubber seals. I guess anything with a good solid connection but without soldering if possible.

Off to hire an enormous dehumidifier now.

Ollie

Good luck with the dehumidifier.I suspect you may be right about the bearings in the BK blocks clicking and clacking as I get a little of this myself.I don't think replacing them is a major job and I would have no qualms about tackling it myself.Dismantling ballscrews is a very different kettle of fish and I wouldn't go near that one without a really powerful reason.I read some while ago that the balls are intended to vary very slightly in size so that they don't jam together and the differences are tiny.Which means it may not be wise to just re-insert them at random if they ever fall out.I have seen them removed by service engineers on a couple of occasions and they had a cardboard tube to slide into the centre of the ball nut to keep things in place.

Hi all.

Routerdriver, I shall certainly leave the ballscrews alone apart from a good greasing, does it have to be a specific grease or can anyone recommend a favourite.

I have been contacted today by a loss adjuster on behalf of the insurance company. He asked me who made the machine ? I said it was custom made by the person who I bought it from and then I did some work to improve it etc.
    I think they would have prefered if I had just said its a SCM or Mazak or whatever. This is the trouble with built not bought.
    So I said that I paid under market value, which I certainly did and to buy a replacement machine with the same capacity and accuracy would be about £6,000 which is a bit of a guess.
    It will do 1150mm by 900mm, cuts pretty fast and will do readable lettering down to 3mm.

Anyway, I said I don`t think it needs replacing neccessarily but is going to need checking everywhere because it has been effectively rained on. He suggested that I wouldn`t do that myself would I, to which I replied that I probably would.
    I would have just gone through every connection to make sure it was dry etc then I guess re-configure UCCNC on a new pc ( old PC still drying and un-tested so far )

So my dilema is that he needs a quotation for the inspection and repair of my machine. I have no idea who I would get to do this really so I am asking if anyone here would do it or know how to find someone who would.

He is coming on Wednesday to have a look at the workshop.
    I worry that to him the machine will appear a little "home made " and not a professional machine, even though it is great.

Cheers

Ollie

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie78 View Post
    I worry that to him the machine will appear a little "home made " and not a professional machine, even though it is great.
    Ollie
    Put a bit of Ali next to it engraved with "HAAS" :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Put a bit of Ali next to it engraved with "HAAS" :-)
    Ha Ha, I could do if it was working !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information