. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    So I'm looking at hooking one of these lasers onto my 1040 cnc.

Says it can cut ply single pass 8mm was skeptical but then saw someone demo it on YT

I think at that price I will take a punt , really mostly doing some etching for my daughters Etsy wooden stuff. And a few ply coasters for a friend. Anyway I'll let you know how it goes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rprwsuvvptrtrosspvxvstvuwruuzrvuArvqKQHY.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	759.2 KB 
ID:	29339

Specs

30W General Specification:
    Model:NEJE Module 30W
    Heatsink Material:Aircraft Aluminum + Brass Shell
    Luminous Color:Blue
    Section Size:40mm x 40mm
    Cooling Mode:Temperature sensor intelligent control + 10000 rpm 40mm cooling fan
    Dimension:60 * 40 * 40mm
    Adapter Plug:5.5 2.1 port
    Can Engrave:MDF/Balsa/Paper/Wood/Fabric/Plastic/Leather/Plywood/Foam Paper/Anodized Aluminum
    Can Not Engrave:Metal/Glass/Stone/Ceramics/PCB/Stainless Steel/Reflective Material/ Transparent Material
    Technical Parameters:
    Module Input:20-30W
    Optical power output:7.5W (7500mW)
    Wavelength:445-450nm
    Beam Shape:Dot (Focusable)
    Working Voltage:DC 12V
    TTL&PWM Modulation:YES, Compatible with Both TTL & PWM Modulation
    Input Voltage:DC12V 3A
    PWM/TTL Input:DC3.3V-12V
    Input Interface:PH2.0-4Pin (+,-, PWM/TTL, Temperature), 3Pin (+,-, PWM/TTL) , 2Pin+2Pin (+,-) + (PWM/TTL,-)
    NOTE:Temperature interface can be disconnected,NEJE provides text instructions for temperature acquisition on wiki.
    Drive Mode:External ACC
    Safe temperature range:<60 ℃
    Module weight:202g ( The lighter the weight, the smaller the move inertia, the better the performance )
    Life Time:10000-20,000 hours

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Watching with interest. I'm not quite flush enough to punt £130 on a whim, but it you report good things then it's a good option.

Can I advise - get a thin sheet of ali to sit on the bed of your CNC - various materials cut tend to leach either resins or chemicals, which can mark the bed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddy For This Useful Post:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I'd personally not put a sheet of ali under an unenclosed laser. I'd put down a sheet of something sacrificial that'll absorb the laser, not reflect it around!

One thing you'll want to add is a small fan to blow fumes away. It doesn't have to be strong, just enough airflow so the smoke/fumes aren't able to rise straight back up and coat/obscure the laser lens.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I'd put down a sheet of something sacrificial that'll absorb the laser, not reflect it around!
    Then keep a fire extinguisher handy :)

You'll lose coherency on anything other than a polished surface, the amount of energy reflected back into the LED - there'll be some, but not a huge amount. Air assist and extraction all good ideas of course.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddy For This Useful Post:

I'm actually excited to have a go, the CNC has been in packing boxes for the last 18 months. But now I have my new home office big enough to get it built in, I'm going to do "stuff" lol
    I'm on CAD atm working out a stand and enclosure to hand over to the smithy to make. Only problem is, hes use to making agricultural machinery so it will be made with battleship armor. I'll have to get some photos of some of the stuff he makes.. seriously over engineered lol

I have an idea for a low pressure cyclone air filtration system. I saw one at a factory I visited last year and it worked really well.
    As for fire, I have a plan for that already.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

So just to bring this up to date.
    It looks like these lasers only work with NEJE's own controllers.
    Which they don't state on the sales page on AliExpress or Amazon for that matter.
    They are simply an upgrade.
    Waste of $100.. be aware of this.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I thought (only 5 minutes casual googling) that the laser was controlled either by a TTL or PWM signal? But I'm struggling to find the spec of the PWM signal (frequency, and active level, 0%/100% reference pulse widths)

What are you driving the PWM from? (e.g. a PWM output from a BoB?) In which case there may be a general sensitivity to the PWM frequency (and you might need a mini interface to take PWM of one frequency, and re-present that at another). That's all do-able and a cheap ardi (that you already have) could be brought to bear to achieve that.

Any documentation with the laser?

Deleted post - not convinced that the laser module isn't just driven by TTL-signal from the missing PWM controller. (ignore image that I can't figure out how to remove)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-17 at 10.01.09.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	30257  
    Last edited by Doddy; 17-07-2021 at 10:13 AM.

I understand
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grbl_Pin_Diagram_v0.9+.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	297.3 KB 
ID:	30258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-07-17_17-40-44.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	30259   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEJE-30W-CNC-Laser-Module-head-FOR-Laser-_1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	30260  
    Last edited by Fivetide; 17-07-2021 at 05:52 PM.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's hard to assess performance and operation from a web-based forum. That you can test-fire the laser fire suggests a constant demand generates full optical power (and absence is off), and that suggests the laser diode itself is "working" (and for the supplier, that's probably the position they're aligned to). The only question I would have is the operation of the control circuit built into the laser assy - that allows the diode to be modulated with the TTL input. It **should** be a case that "on" is lase, "off" is don't-lase, and that is simply and exactly what an Arduino PWM output will produce. If the laser assy is questionable, then that can be assessed with passing a variety of signals into the laser and observing the resulting laser output. Similarly, you should be able (with equipment) to monitor the PWM output from the Arduino, that under GRBL it generates a pulse with variable mark-space ratio up to full-on (or near-as-dammit). Without testing these it's difficult to throw blame at either the laser or the arduino/GRBL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information