. .
  1. Hey everyone,

I bought some geared rotational stages from a company on AliExpress and I'm 99% sure they sent the wrong ones but there are no markings to be able to tell. Two should have a gear ratio of 90:1 and one should have a gear ratio of 180:1. The company is refusing to take responsibility and I just want to check I'm not going mad and completely wrong here.

Correct me if I'm wrong but a 90:1 gear ratio should move at double the speed of a 180:1, correct? Meaning after one full turn the 90:1 would move double as much. I recorded a couple videos to prove this but they're saying otherwise. These are the videos:

https://squaremountain.co.uk/wp-cont...ion-Part-1.mp4

https://squaremountain.co.uk/wp-cont...ion-Part-2.mp4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbridge87 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I bought some geared rotational stages from a company on AliExpress and I'm 99% sure they sent the wrong ones but there are no markings to be able to tell. Two should have a gear ratio of 90:1 and one should have a gear ratio of 180:1. The company is refusing to take responsibility and I just want to check I'm not going mad and completely wrong here.

Correct me if I'm wrong but a 90:1 gear ratio should move at double the speed of a 180:1, correct? Meaning after one full turn the 90:1 would move double as much. I recorded a couple videos to prove this but they're saying otherwise. These are the videos:

https://squaremountain.co.uk/wp-cont...ion-Part-1.mp4

https://squaremountain.co.uk/wp-cont...ion-Part-2.mp4

Thanks
    That looks correct to me. Can you alter the software to suite?
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

3. Not really I'm afraid. The 180:1 and 90:1 are on the pan tilt head, which means they stall at different speeds and have different payload capacities. It would be much better if the two axis were the same. I could put both 180:1 drives on the pan tilt head but since the 180:1 are a little stronger they're supposed to be used for another purpose, plus I wanted the additional speed of the 90:1 for the pan tilt.

I wish I could switch them around, would make things a lot easier.

Not really I'm afraid. The 180:1 and 90:1 are on the pan tilt head, which means they stall at different speeds and have different payload capacities. It would be much better if the two axis were the same. I could put both 180:1 drives on the pan tilt head but since the 180:1 are a little stronger they're supposed to be used for another purpose, plus I wanted the additional speed of the 90:1 for the pan tilt.

I wish I could switch them around, would make things a lot easier.
    I am not understanding this. Are you saying that the motors stall ? So 180 turns of the motor should be 1 turn on the output.
    ..Clive

5. I'm talking about the speed at which the motors stall. So, as you'd expect, the 180:1 is a lot slower than the 90:1 and hence cannot reach the same speed before stalling.

I'd prefer that the faster motors be on the pan tilt head hence wanting the 90:1 versions there. Does that makes sense?

I'm talking about the speed at which the motors stall. So, as you'd expect, the 180:1 is a lot slower than the 90:1 and hence cannot reach the same speed before stalling.

I'd prefer that the faster motors be on the pan tilt head hence wanting the 90:1 versions there. Does that makes sense?
    Yes of course I should have known better.

I wasn't thinking about the motor speed 😡
    ..Clive

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,553. Received thanks 307 times, giving thanks to others 7 times.
    I'm possibly wrong due to lack of sleep, but shouldn't a 90:1 turn 4 degrees for every input revolution?
    Which would mean you've got one 180:1, and two 360:1 reducers.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

9. You're totally right. Someone else pointed this out to me elsewhere and I hadn't even thought about it. I was so focused on how the company wouldn't acknowledge this obvious difference.

Thread Information