. .

Thread: Hello there

Hi everyone,

My name is Marc, I live in London.

I'm an product design engineer by trade and my day job involves taking peoples ideas from sketches on the back of napkins through to final production.

I've been interested in CNC for a while now and am lucky enough to live close by an open workshop in North London that has a HAAS TM-2P which is rentable by the hour, I've done the training and have ran a couple of jobs and looking to build up my experience on that.

I'm also working on a project building an electro-mechanical universal testing machine. I'm using 2 x 16mm ball screws for actuation and 2 x 25mm linear rails for rigidity. The aim is to use it to destructively test designs in-house to prove feasibility and to ratify FEA results.

Thanks,
    Marc

Hi Marc,

Im new also.

What kind of industry are you in / what kind of stuff do design? Or is it very varied?

The open workshop sounds like a really cool idea. I wish I knew of one around here. Id probably spend more time there than the pub for instance.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,601. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcBloke View Post
    Hi everyone,

My name is Marc, I live in London.

I'm an product design engineer by trade and my day job involves taking peoples ideas from sketches on the back of napkins through to final production.

I've been interested in CNC for a while now and am lucky enough to live close by an open workshop in North London that has a HAAS TM-2P which is rentable by the hour, I've done the training and have ran a couple of jobs and looking to build up my experience on that.

I'm also working on a project building an electro-mechanical universal testing machine. I'm using 2 x 16mm ball screws for actuation and 2 x 25mm linear rails for rigidity. The aim is to use it to destructively test designs in-house to prove feasibility and to ratify FEA results.

Thanks,
    Marc
    Welcome. Im curious, what does renting something like that cost per hour?

@BigBrand - all sorts of stuff really, done a lot of work designing niche components for low energy construction, currently designing a backpack that carries vaccines and keeps them cold, also designing a golf putter. So all sorts really.

@Chaz - the HAAS costs £40 per hour to rent, £250 for the training. I'm still getting to grips with it to be honest, but getting quicker at it now. It has a 10 tool carousel so if you're loading in a load of tools for a job it can seriously eat into your time just setting all the tool offsets.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,601. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Thanks, interesting to know. I would have thought it was more but still, I can see how it will quickly add up.

Thread Information