. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    John, you know that I'm running LinuxCNC with my lathe - because I really wanted to move from Mach3, and I'll be honest, from what I've just read the Mach3-Turn is poorly supported - I guess you've done that research already. Just be aware that if/when you do pull the pin on jumping onto LinuxCNC (I know you mention it over several threads, and I wish there was an alternative!) you're (a) not going to be able to use your UC100 - so direct PP or expensive controller (my Mesa 7i76e with shipping and tax cost nearly what you paid for your lathe! - 302 Euro). (b) PP is going to need fairly fast task threads for thread-cutting - so you'll need something above the bottom-rung of the desktop ladder, and - (c) maybe the most obvious thing for me - the support for MOP wizards just isn't there - so you'll be hand crafting G-Code to operate the lathe. There is at least one attempt to integrate some basic turning add-ons but these are flakey, at best (e.g. you need to know that they just change some of the modal states - e.g radius/diameter mode internally with no recovery - not knowing that I've had some entertaining crashes). I do like LinuxCNC in some respect but be well aware that it comes with a health warning. Maybe best done when the workshop is nice and warm.

So
    Is Mach 4 possibly an option?
    How does it handle spindle pulleys and will it manage threading?

Found this video from 2017 in which the guy seems to like the features but mentions threading / spindle index issues but have to wonder if it has moved on yet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqIqn3lg3wA

Any Mach 4 users out there to advise ?

And what is the function of "pokeys " and might this be able to overcome the problems I am finding
    Last edited by John11668; 17-01-2021 at 01:25 PM.

Also found this on Warp 9 site which suggests that Mach 4 later builds manage the threading function.

"""Lathe Threading
    Both Mach4 and Mach3 support threading operations with G32 and G76 commands. The start of each threading pass is synced with the (required) Spindle Index Pulse.

Something broke G76 in Mach4 build 4385 through at least 4563. G76 and G32 work just fine in Mach build 4360 (available here) and lower, so we recommend using Mach4 4360 with ESS build 259.

UPDATE: Lathe threading with G32 and G76 are working properly with Mach4 4580 and ESS 268 or 269.
    (This was not an issue in the ESS plugin, so any ESS plugin version should work.)

The speed of the Z and X cuts will be adjusted to compensate for the instantaneously measured spindle RPM, calculated by the spindle Index pulse or the (much more accurate due to multiple RPM updates per revolution) spindle Encoder A channel.

Even if you are using the Spindle Encoder to measure the RPMs more accurately, you must still have the Spindle Index signal hooked up as well. Without the Spindle Index signal, we can't determine the 0 degree location required for starting a threading pass.
    You only need to hook up Spindle Encoder A for the RPM measurements to be made. However, without the Spindle Encoder B channel hooked up, the encoder will just dither back and forth between values. With the Spindle Encoder A and B channels hooked up, the encoder value will count up or down (depending on the rotational direction).

Threading works with either ESS PWM spindle control or Mach4 OB Step Dir Spindle control (a STEP DIR Spindle MUST USE MOTOR 5 for the OB motor). When the GCode starts a threading pass, we halt all motor motion on motors 0 through 4 so that we can wait for the index pulse to tell us to go.

If you are running a Step/Dir Spindle on motors 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 it will be instantly stopped at the beginning of each threading pass, and you will get a clunk or a reduction in spindle speed for an instant, until the Spindle Index signal pulses.
    On motor 5, we allow the Step/Dir spindle to maintain it's current velocity while waiting for the index pulse. This is why you want to be on motor 5 instead of motors 0 through 4 for your Step/Dir Spindle.
    The PWM spindle is not affected by this.

If using a Step/Dir Spindle, you may wish to do these three steps to help prevent clunking:

1)Make sure your Step/Dir Spindle is configured as motor 5 (see the previous paragraph).

2) Go to Mach4 Menu -> Configure -> Plugins… -> ESS v... - Warp9 Tech Design, Inc -> Motors tab and check the box for "Enable AntiClunk Mode for Servo Motors".

3) Change your screen set's stop button so it will feed hold fold instead of just dead stopping your Step/Dir Spindle motor.""

Might there be a way forward here ?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Mach 4 is an option.

How external controllers handle threading, is entirely up to the controller. Mach simply requests a thread, and the controller does it.
    You can always install Mach 4 and give it a try.

Pokey's originally was just an external button panel, but they now do various controllers- https://www.poscope.com/product-cate...ys-io-devices/
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Installed Mach 4 but wont run without a controller.
    So totally different from M3 too. Then I understand that it will only allow 6 mins of use unless you buy a license.
    Cant imagine much of a trial under those constraints.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I installed Mach4 last week to test something, and it ran fine for me without a controller attached.
    Without a license it limits how long code will run for, but I think it's a random time limit.

I can make things happen on the screen but it wont do anything with the machine ,(not even Jog)
    My machines have both run in Mach 3 using the UC100 USB controller but nothing in M4 so I am guessing it needs ethernet controller .
    I dont mind the expense as long as it works . Same applies to the license . I guess both of them could be moved forward to my next project .

Who has used M4 with such a controller and how did it go .
    Last edited by John11668; 18-01-2021 at 08:11 PM.

CNCDrive list a Mach 4 plugin for the UC100, so it should work.
    You have installed the Mach 4 UC100 plugin - http://cncdrive.com/UC100.html ?

I hadn't but will give it a shot , in the morning perhaps .
    Looks like I may also have to read the Mach 4 manual too

So downloaded the plugin via the auto install route http://cncdrive.com/MC/UC100%20full%...UCx00setup.exe
    Seemed to give a bit more functionality and I was able to change the keyboard functions (all I wanted were x+ z+ x- z-. on up down left right arrows ) but I got in a bit of a mess and decided to start afresh so uninstalled Mach4 and downloaded again.

Now wont install
    Keeps coming up with "cant find ******************* " which you can ignore but then immmediately comes up with another "cant find, and another and another

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information