. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    I know what you mean about just making it up, its so much easier when its there in front of you, than sitting at a computer with CAD. Have you seen the design guide for the blocks? looks like you will have to be careful with the spacing as any racking will cause them to bind.

Since they are 4 way loading have you considered putting the x axis rails on their side, that way you just need a flat plate to bolt the carrages to the y axis rail.

Where do you get the ali sections from?

Location unknown. Last Activity: 12-11-2010 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 20. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Yea i have seen there website, i think you are suppossed to use one block without the side bearings, hopefully it should work ok though.

I have thought about putting the rails on the side but then there will only be one contact patch per block instead of 2, but putting them on the side would give me a bigger y axis. il see how it goes.

the alu profile is from RS

Location unknown. Last Activity: 12-11-2010 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 20. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    quick update,

i have put the rails on the side, and its made everything alot easier,
    i have made a design on autocad and started to roughly make it out of steel, as you can see not many holes line up lol.

im currently waiting for some 45x45 alu profile and the plan is to have two vertical sections bolted onto the alu side plates then, two long pieces across forming the y axis. im also planning on mounting the y axis motor on the inside and using a pulley to attach to the screw that will go down the middle of the y axis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01122009312.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	527.7 KB 
ID:	1202   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01122009313.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	627.8 KB 
ID:	1203   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01122009315.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	578.0 KB 
ID:	1204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front view.JPG 
Views:	414 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	1205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side view.JPG 
Views:	377 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	1206  

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Looking good. with regard to the rails being on their side with only one contact then in dosnt matter as in reallity you are only supporting the weight of the y and z axis. The plunge of the z axis will counter some this and you will then have max strength (4 contacts) in the sideways movement of the x axis where you need it to counter the cutting forces.

Not sure it I would have moved the y axis rails as well tho. For that long travel on the z you need them as far appart as poss to reduce the moment, the other side effect is that the y rail has moved the spindle futher way! You might want to shift the y axis rail back a bit further to compensate, dosnt mater if the motor overhangs a bit. mind it would be easy the remake the side plates later if it dose cause any problems. (Chatter, binding etc.)

Did you find RS the cheapest for the aluminium sections?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    Not sure it I would have moved the y axis rails as well tho. For that long travel on the z you need them as far appart as poss to reduce the moment, the other side effect is that the y rail has moved the spindle futher way! You might want to shift the y axis rail back a bit further to compensate, dosnt mater if the motor overhangs a bit. mind it would be easy the remake the side plates later if it dose cause any problems. (Chatter, binding etc.)

Did you find RS the cheapest for the aluminium sections?

i put the y axis rails on the front as it keeps them a meter long and is alot easier to mount a plate straight on, instead of building a box around.

plus i may be using some low height rails instead, about 9mm instead of 30mm.

but ye i might have to move the y axis further over the rear bearing.

as regards to RS being cheapest? probably not but my work always gets stuff from there so its easy, i think it was about 20 quid per section,
    the rails and bearings are cheaper than igus tho,

Hi,

i got the 45x45 alu profile today, so i made the y axis, its rock solid with no flex, but i think the igus bearings may have to go as it barely moves on the x axis, so i may have to get some proper ball bearing carriages for the x axis and use the igus bearings on the y axis.

does anyone know where to get cheap rails and carriages?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	y axis.jpg 
Views:	3037 
Size:	575.4 KB 
ID:	1208  

Lives in Nottingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11-11-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 176. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Hi Kev, it' looking good - loads of progress...

I cant help you with the rails & carriages (I made my own), but I like your whiteboard sketches! I do alot of thinking out loud on a whiteboard in my workshop... Can't beat it...!

Thats a shame, I didnt think you would have a problem this soon.
    Is it binding because of the long distance of the y compared to the truck spacing or is it just the weight causing excesive friction? If its the former then it should disapear if you drive it with a screw on each side. (eliminate the racking) might be worth pursuing before for you make major changes.

For the rails I beleive Gary at Zapp sells the 15mm rails and 4 way loading trucks for the same as the Igus stuff you bought. £50-60 for 1m rail and £35 ish a truck. These also have way more capacity as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Hi Kev, it' looking good - loads of progress...

I cant help you with the rails & carriages (I made my own), but I like your whiteboard sketches! I do alot of thinking out loud on a whiteboard in my workshop... Can't beat it...!

Ha ha yea its sometimes easier to just sketch ideas down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    Thats a shame, I didnt think you would have a problem this soon.
    Is it binding because of the long distance of the y compared to the truck spacing or is it just the weight causing excesive friction? If its the former then it should disapear if you drive it with a screw on each side. (eliminate the racking) might be worth pursuing before for you make major changes.

For the rails I beleive Gary at Zapp sells the 15mm rails and 4 way loading trucks for the same as the Igus stuff you bought. £50-60 for 1m rail and £35 ish a truck. These also have way more capacity as well.
    I have been playing with it today, i had one screw in each bearing block tightened up, one side of the frame loosened off so it would move but it is still binding and hard to move, i even tried adjusting the bearings but no joy.

I took the y axis frame off leaving the 2 plates on, and if u put any slight sidways pressure on the plate it locks the bearings up.

It could be due to the y axis being so big compared to the bearing spacing.

Hopefully work should be ordering the 20mm rails and carriages from zapp, they should be alot better due to having bearings, and they only work out to be about 40 quid more than the igus set.

Im going to try the igus rails on the y axis where everything should be more square and closer together.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information