. .

Thread: My Build

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Well it’s been nearly four years since I started to look at building my own machine, my interest started because I was looking for an alternative to using chemicals for making printed circuit boards, after finding a home built CNC controlled PCB engraver on Ebay I started searching and soon found CNC building forums like this one.

After reading a lot of the threads I started to design my own machine using Autocad, because my initial interest was PCB’s I was only looking to build a small machine , I started to acquire various bits, the first being three Gecko 210 stepper drivers and three Nema 34 stepper motors.

Fortunately for me (or unfortunately depending which way you look at it) I work in a factory which uses quite a bit of automation and over a period of time I have acquired a lot of very lightly used ball screw assemblies, linear rail and carriages and aluminium extrusion which has dictated the final size of my machine and already with bigger sections becoming available as I write this I am redesigning it already.

I built all the electrical/electronics first. My power supply is home built giving me around 50 volts dc to power my steppers and capable of delivering around 16 amps. Although I have had my machine running it is still very much work in progress, I have purchased a MPG, a small PLC with MODBUS capability to give me more I/O and also I have just received a three phase water cooled spindle and VFD all of which require fitting and setting up . Anyway that’s enough of me babbling on, as they say a picture paints a thousand words here are a few photo’s, I have also taken some video of it cutting some MDF nothing exciting so once I figure out how to upload it I will do so.

Specs at the moment:-

X Axis 650mm
    Y Axis 650mm
    Z Axis 200mm

5mm Pitch Ball Screws On All Axis
    Hiwin 25mm Rails And Carriages on X and Z Axis
    Hiwin 30mm Rails And Carriages on The Y Axis
    Gecko 210 Stepper Drivers
    3Nm Stepper Motors On All Axis
    CNC4PC 11T BOB And the C10

Mach 3

Regards

Andy

Im not sure how the photo's will upload so here goes

Well not very well, Lee if you are out there this is the message I received

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error."

The action I performed was to try and upload some photo's from my pc

I will try again later

I'm looking into it as we speak andy !
    .Me

Well I will try again with the photo's I will just try one to start, if it is successful it shoul be some of my parts after machining ready for assembly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first CNC.jpg 
Views:	509 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	409  

Quote Originally Posted by audioandy View Post
    Well I will try again with the photo's I will just try one to start, if it is successful it shoul be some of my parts after machining ready for assembly
    Drool.....

All that lovely precision guided railery, you lucky man!

Looking forward to seeing this machine come together Andy and really looking forward to anything you might have to say on your MODIO stuff too

Jeff.
    Nothing is foolproof......to a sufficiently talented fool!

6. Looks like he means business :)

I like the hand scraped and levelled trusses ;)

Ok that seems to have worked.

So

The next photos show my machine through various stages of my build.

The first is a side view of my built up Z axis,the next is my X axis and Z parts built. The next part I built up was the table that it all was going to sit on.

After mounting to the table I started to wire in my limits and homing switches these all terminated into a junction box on the rear of my gantry I used shielded cable where possible then used a multicore shielded cable to connect them to my main control box.
    The main control box was fastened to the side of the table then the Y axis was built up and assembled.

Name:	Built Z axis.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x and z together.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Table.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Axis mounted to table.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	413   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear junction box.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	185.5 KB 
ID:	414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear Junction Box connected.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Y axis table parts.jpg 
Views:	467 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	y axis built up.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	417   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Y axis side view.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	189.6 KB 
ID:	418  

Wow replies already thanks guys.

Yes Bill those trusses are older than me! They have started to rot but I dont want to throw them away as they were built by my grandad when he was an apprentice wheel wright.

Ok so here are some photos of the electronics side of things

Name:	control cabinet.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	419   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Powered Up Controller.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	420   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C11T BOB.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	421  

And here is the future "to do" list, first photo shows the 2.2Kw spindle and VFD, I have had this powered up and ran it up to 24,000 RPM it is so smooth and quiet carn't wait to get onto the machine and try it.

The next is the MPG this was purchased from Gary at Zapp,after talking to Jeff to find out how he had connected his I realised I was fast going to run out of I/O so I purchased the CUBLOC plc which has modbus connectivity. I have had this connected to my control PC and managed to fire outputs : ).

As I progress through the above "to do" list I will keep you posted with my progress (or not)

Well thats about it for now.

Andy

Name:	VFD and Spindle.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	422   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MPG.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Modbus plc.jpg 
Views:	1474 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	424  
    Last edited by audioandy; 15-05-2009 at 10:14 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information