. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I have been playing with it today, i had one screw in each bearing block tightened up, one side of the frame loosened off so it would move but it is still binding and hard to move, i even tried adjusting the bearings but no joy.
    Sorry I meant the ballscrew/leadscrew

I took the y axis frame off leaving the 2 plates on, and if u put any slight sidways pressure on the plate it locks the bearings up.
    With a leadscrew on each side and linked with a belt, (which you will need anyway with the ball bearing rails) then both sides would be moved evenly and should'nt bind.

but then again if you can get the bearing type then that will solve everything. I've got 20mm THK's and they are solid..

If you are still going to use the igus on the y axis then try to follow the design guide on the width to truck spacing ratio, also make sure the leadscrew is perfectly in the middle otherwise you will have the same problem with binding....especially with the 250mm z axis.

I would try again with the igus on the x axis with twin lead screws and use the bearing type on the y axis. just my 2 penneth

out of interest what are you using for the spindle?

Location unknown. Last Activity: 12-11-2010 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 20. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    Sorry I meant the ballscrew/leadscrew

With a leadscrew on each side and linked with a belt, (which you will need anyway with the ball bearing rails) then both sides would be moved evenly and should'nt bind.

but then again if you can get the bearing type then that will solve everything. I've got 20mm THK's and they are solid..

If you are still going to use the igus on the y axis then try to follow the design guide on the width to truck spacing ratio, also make sure the leadscrew is perfectly in the middle otherwise you will have the same problem with binding....especially with the 250mm z axis.

I would try again with the igus on the x axis with twin lead screws and use the bearing type on the y axis. just my 2 penneth

out of interest what are you using for the spindle?
    I have not got any leadscrews yet, im just trying to get the frame made up and running smooth, at the moment the X axis is very stiff and would give the stepper motors a good workout.

i think i am going to run a motor each side on the X axis.

I have sort of fallen out with the igus bearings haha, the difference between them being sort of moving and locking up was half a screw turn on one of the carriages.

for the spindle i was looking at using a kress, are these any good for cutting aluminum?

3. Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    for the spindle i was looking at using a kress, are these any good for cutting aluminum?
    Up to a point... as long as you keep the depth of cut small and get a reasonable feed rate and stick with 1 or 2 flute cutters...

Location unknown. Last Activity: 12-11-2010 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 20. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Up to a point... as long as you keep the depth of cut small and get a reasonable feed rate and stick with 1 or 2 flute cutters...
    Ok what would be a better choice?

Now theres a question, theres a lot of "what ifs" and whats it "gunna do" The two main considerations are power and shaft run out. Which leads to bigger size and cost......

I would have thought you'd be ok with a good quality router above 1200W

I have sort of fallen out with the igus bearings haha, the difference between them being sort of moving and locking up was half a screw turn on one of the carriages.
    I had the same problem setting the ways on my lathe and x-y table, after a bit of practice it got easier. The biggest killer was the fiction caused to remove the backlash in the leadscrew. So from now on I will only use bearing rails and ballscrews.

Hows the rest of the machine going?

Tbh iv not done anything lately, im just waiting for the rails and bearing carriages,
    then im gonna try and get the X axis moving freely, probably redesign the side plates by moving the y axis frame further back over the rear bearings, then i can concentrate on the y axis and z axis, or maybe get some screws on the x axis first.
    im just hoping the igus bearings will work ok on the y axis, but probably not haha.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information