. .
    Hi Everyone I would like to introduce myself I am Phil and I am currently in the market for a CnC router.
    I am very confused regarding air cooled versus water cooled Spindles. which is the better and pros and cons for both, mainly i want to use the machine for cutting furniture board, ply wood etc at least at the moment anyway, my unit can get cold in winter and hot in the summer as it is a nissen hut type unit corrugated just in case that makes a difference.
    I have around £10,000 + Vat to spend and would like to know what machines are recommended.
    i have been looking at Fabertec, CKJ, KEW1325 (advertised on ebay) and Mantech Spartan any other suggestions and information gratefully received

many thanks

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Philip15 View Post
    Hi Everyone I would like to introduce myself I am Phil and I am currently in the market for a CnC router.
    I am very confused regarding air cooled versus water cooled Spindles. which is the better and pros and cons for both, mainly i want to use the machine for cutting furniture board, ply wood etc at least at the moment anyway, my unit can get cold in winter and hot in the summer as it is a nissen hut type unit corrugated just in case that makes a difference.
    I have around £10,000 + Vat to spend and would like to know what machines are recommended.
    i have been looking at Fabertec, CKJ, KEW1325 (advertised on ebay) and Mantech Spartan any other suggestions and information gratefully received

many thanks

Phil
    Welcome to the forum Phil. The budget you have quoted should get you a nice machine. There is a guy on here that builds them to order (Dean Jazzcnc) I think there are a few vids on here somewhere of his machines.

The water cooled spindles are much quieter than the air cooled. One of the cons for the air-cooled are that the fan slows down with the speed and therefore does not cool the spindle.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Welcome to the forum Phil. The budget you have quoted should get you a nice machine. There is a guy on here that builds them to order (Dean Jazzcnc) I think there are a few vids on here somewhere of his machines.

The water cooled spindles are much quieter than the air cooled. One of the cons for the air-cooled are that the fan slows down with the speed and therefore does not cool the spindle.
    Unless you get an air cooled spindle with an extra fan built on top something like this

https://www.ebay.at/itm/253928489328

Cheers
    Andrew

Hi Phil,

I sent you my details in reply to your PM.

Regards the Spindle then it depends on the quality of the Air cooled spindle, the better ones are fine and very little difference between Air or Water cooled in terms of performance. Though my preference is watercooled because the duty cycle is virtually unlimited, so if you cut large 3D jobs that can take days not hours it does make a difference. The other difference is that you can often buy large Kw rated Air cooled spindles much cheaper than large Kw water cooled spindles.

The cheaper Air cooled spindles however have low duty cycles and poor fans so they quickly get hot and eventually die.! . . Avoid like Covid.!
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Thread Information