. .
    morning all

ive just managed to blow the power supply for my 500w spindle.

when i say blow, its dead but not really sure why. no loud bangs or pops and ive checked all fuses.

the power supply came with a 500w spindle from aliexpress and has working fine on a modified 3018 machine. input ac110v-ac220v , output dc0-100v.

can anyone point me in the direction of a decent replacment that doesnt have the potential of killing me?

any help would be appeciated.

cheers

steve

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    It's most likely just a basic SCR speed controller suitably current/voltage limited.

Have you got any pictures?
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

m_cClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210127_070444.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	29437

thanks for your reply.

attached is an image of the offending item .

its always been a bit dicey, not sure what i was expecting..

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Its hard to see, but I suspect it is just an enclosed SCR drive. If it is, be aware the potentiometer pins will be floating around half mains voltage, so don't go touching any of the pins/wiring when the drive is powered up.

Although due to the dual voltage input, there is a possibility the drive may actually be some kind of SMPS.

If you're desperate to get running again, and want an industrial solution, something like a KBIC ( https://www.axiscontrols.co.uk/produ...eed-controller ) would work, you'd just need to ensure you don't turn the speed control up too high that you over-voltage the motor.
    Or you can get a fully enclosed Sprint DC drive for around the same price - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/motor...llers/8209558/

Alternatively if you search eBay for "SCR speed controller" there are lots of cheap options, but you'll need to add a fuse to protect for overcurrent.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thread Information