. .
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Patcho1961 View Post
    indeed it is sods law!

I can't be waiting 3 weeks any where in the uk to get something decent?
    i have been looking at motion control products in Bournemouth (https://www.automationshop.co.uk/cat...crews/id/8950/), they sell ball screws and the like made by Gten, they look alright but you never can tell

anyone have experience of buying from them?
    I doubt they will be machined and they will want 2-3 weeks for that.?

Gten are good ballscrews and you won't go wrong with them or Motion control products but they will probably cost 4x the price than from BST. (but they will be better spec)
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Jazz
    I have no problem machining them, I have a pretty well sorted workshop at work and I am fully capable of machining any bearing blocks required as well, being as the Z is having to move a lot of weight, even if it is counterbalanced a bit with a gas strut do you think there is any value in using a double ball nut?

steve

Quote Originally Posted by Patcho1961 View Post
    Jazz
    I have no problem machining them, I have a pretty well sorted workshop at work and I am fully capable of machining any bearing blocks required as well, being as the Z is having to move a lot of weight, even if it is counterbalanced a bit with a gas strut do you think there is any value in using a double ball nut?

steve
    I can't really say if I'm honest because while obviously, a double nut will be better than a single nut the machine is only as good as the weakest link and I don't know your machine. It certainly won't make it worse so if you can afford it then go for it is my opinion on this.!
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

OK cnc people,
    Just an update on where I am at with my mill
    I have fitted a new ball nut to the z, turned out there where no balls in the nut on the machine when I got it and the z was running up and down just on the wiper bushes ...lol, so thats fixed now.
    I have fitted hardware from uccnc, a ethernet motion controller UC300ETH and a UCSB breakout board along with installing their software, took a little figuring out but not too difficult.
    Run some test cuts in acrylic and aluminium tonight which highlighted some backlash in the x but found it was a loose nut on the thrust race, after resetting that cuts where good.
    So all in all I'm very happy, still have some guards to make and have to fit a coolant pump.
    Would like to thank all who gave me advice and will update you all again in the future when I have produced something worth showing off.
    Stay safe all

Steve

Pics, or it never happened

I will take pics today, apologies didn't realise I had to produce photographic evidence to support my claims of success lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first attempt ally (1 of 1).jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	287.7 KB 
ID:	29579

first attempt cutting ally, 1mm deep cut with 3mm end mil, 50mm diameter circle, you can see from the pattern left by the cutter i have some backlash or play issues but i think i can sort them out

Might be a small element of tool deflection at play as well. Good to hear that you're getting on.

Name:	un300eth (1 of 1).jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	408.3 KB 
ID:	29580
    new uc300 ethernet card and breakout board wired in

Name:	new Z ball screw and nut (1 of 1).jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	29581
    new Z ball screw and nut fitted, when i say fitted i still have to put in the other 4 cap heads but i was eager to test

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information