. .
    Hi guys, im looking to make a bunch of 3-4mm holes in aluminium (6061) but i understand drills are kind of out off the question due to the spindle speed being too high. so my question is how should this be done? I could buy some smaller 1-2mm endmills and machine them out but i feel this will just leave me with a bunch of snapped mills and end up costing a fortune, my router is running flood cooling if that helps at all and has a standard 2.2kw Chinese spindle on it.

thanks in advance Oli

Quote Originally Posted by tankproof2 View Post
    Hi guys, im looking to make a bunch of 3-4mm holes in aluminium (6061) but i understand drills are kind of out off the question due to the spindle speed being too high. so my question is how should this be done? I could buy some smaller 1-2mm endmills and machine them out but i feel this will just leave me with a bunch of snapped mills and end up costing a fortune, my router is running flood cooling if that helps at all and has a standard 2.2kw Chinese spindle on it.

thanks in advance Oli
    That should be no problem the spindle will run fine a 7K revs use a stub drill or even a 2-3 flute end mill and peck drill it.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by tankproof2 View Post

thanks in advance Oli
    4mm will be no problem, I drill 4.2mm (m5) holes all the time in aluminum with a 2.2Kw spindle, just use a peck drilling strategy. For the 3mm holes, I would start them first with a spot drill because a smaller drill can wander off.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Thread Information