. .
    Hello,

I'm looking to acquire a CNC router/mill.

I would like to use it for wood and aluminium and have the minimum work dimensions of 400x300x100 X/Y/Z .

I am after a precise machine, so no wood routers please. But other than that, fairly open.

1600 max. (tiny leeway) (no software needed, but if that is the case the boards would need to be compatible with LinuxCNC).

I am based in the Scottish Borders.

I think that is everything

Lives in wakefield, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 23 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 7,838. Received thanks 1,361 times, giving thanks to others 89 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurizio View Post
    I am after a precise machine, so no wood routers please. But other than that, fairly open.
    Why would you think a wood router isn't precise.? Don't confuse precision with rigidity, some of my routers will knock the spots off some mills for precision but not rigidity, and with only 1600 you are not going to buy anything very strong or precise, not that is working anyway.!
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Why would you think a wood router isn't precise.? Don't confuse precision with rigidity, some of my routers will knock the spots off some mills for precision but not rigidity, and with only 1600 you are not going to buy anything very strong or precise, not that is working anyway.!
    Ah, I was under the impression spindles had less run-out than a wood router. Is that wrong overall or are certain models recommended?

Strong/precise are relative - I should have included my use case. I was trying to avoid a sheet based machine e.g. ooznest as they don't seem suitable for machining the smaller aluminium parts I would like to. I'll update as soon as I've confirmed what tolerances I am after then. Thank you for the heads up!

Thread Information