. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lives in Nottingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11-11-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 176. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Well you say that but...
    I recon life CAN be as simple as beans on toast.

Unless your router will fold up into a laptop bag, a desktop makes more sense. Probably about 20% of the cost for the same performance (£50 will get you something that'll run EMC and Mach in its sleep). And you can expand IO with extra parallel ports.
    But where to put a big bulky desktop box? Just put it ummm,,, under the massive router.... It definitely beats worrying about compatibility...

Just my 2p,
    Or am I missing something?! :whistling:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I recon life CAN be as simple as beans on toast.

Unless your router will fold up into a laptop bag, a desktop makes more sense. Probably about 20% of the cost for the same performance (£50 will get you something that'll run EMC and Mach in its sleep). And you can expand IO with extra parallel ports.
    But where to put a big bulky desktop box? Just put it ummm,,, under the massive router.... It definitely beats worrying about compatibility...

Just my 2p,
    Or am I missing something?! :whistling:
    In my case it was that the Router would be living in a place that was not conducive to leaving a PC permanently with it i.e. cold, damp workshop by the sea. Now it's in a warm dry place and I blagged a 2.8Ghz SFF Dell pc to run it off. Add a touchscreen and you don't even need a keyboard or mouse.

My experience with a dell laptop was needing to turn off all powersaving features i.e. smartstep, USB powersaving and ACPI. I then had problems with the machine overheating so I needed a utility to turn on and keep on all the system fans at full power, then another utility to prevent windows from switching the CPU to low power mode. It worked wonderfully for a year but I could see a real standalone PC was what was needed.

My laptop is a Dell Latitude C640, 120 quid off eBlag.

Jeff.
    Nothing is foolproof......to a sufficiently talented fool!

Thread Information