. .
    I have ordered two 2HSS86 stepper motor drives and motors from SZGH. The input voltage states 30 to 80V ac, i contacted Mike their technical man who recommended 60V ac and a 1000VA transformer with the outputs connected in parallel. I have a couple of 500VA transformers which have two 35v outputs on each which will give me 70v.
    How does this input voltages impact on how well the driver/ motor operates?

Thanks.

Higher voltage = higher speed from the motor before you start losing torque.

Don't forget a UK supply is 230VAC -6%->+10% - do the math with you primary rating to work out how close to 80Vac you want to get.

Before you connect the transformer to the drives I would check the output voltage because with 70Vac secondary you could get close to 80Vac if the input voltage fluctuates.

Voltage is a key factor in the speed you'll get from the motor, however, the inductance of the motor plays a large part in this so the motor size comes into play.

For instance, if you had 50V and a NEMA 34 motor with say 10mh inductance then the same Nm size NEMA 24 motor with an inductance with only 5mh, this would give higher rpm for the same input voltage.

In general anything above 70Vdc will give a very good performance for a NEMA 23/24 size motor. For NEMA 34 which often has higher inductance then more volts will be required, 100Vdc or more for best performance depending on motor size. For large Nm motors, Mains voltage drives are best.

So with 60Vac after the drive converts this to DC the motor will be seeing aprox 83Vdc which for NEMA 23/4 motors will be more than enough. Also, with smaller motors, You don't want to go too high because you can cause excessive motor heating which is why mike will be recommending on 60Vac even thou the drive can handle 80Vac. Also, it's always better to have plenty of spare overhead so you are not stressing the drive.

I run between 60 and 65vac using a single 625va transformer and don't have any issues. 1000Va is a little too large IMO and you will have a high inrush current.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Before you connect the transformer to the drives I would check the output voltage because with 70Vac secondary you could get close to 80Vac if the input voltage fluctuates.

Voltage is a key factor in the speed you'll get from the motor, however, the inductance of the motor plays a large part in this so the motor size comes into play.

For instance, if you had 50V and a NEMA 34 motor with say 10mh inductance then the same Nm size NEMA 24 motor with an inductance with only 5mh, this would give higher rpm for the same input voltage.

In general anything above 70Vdc will give a very good performance for a NEMA 23/24 size motor. For NEMA 34 which often has higher inductance then more volts will be required, 100Vdc or more for best performance depending on motor size. For large Nm motors, Mains voltage drives are best.

So with 60Vac after the drive converts this to DC the motor will be seeing aprox 83Vdc which for NEMA 23/4 motors will be more than enough. Also, with smaller motors, You don't want to go too high because you can cause excessive motor heating which is why mike will be recommending on 60Vac even thou the drive can handle 80Vac. Also, it's always better to have plenty of spare overhead so you are not stressing the drive.

I run between 60 and 65vac using a single 625va transformer and don't have any issues. 1000Va is a little too large IMO and you will have a high inrush current.
    Hi,
    Do you use single secondary transformers withe the drives in parallel or 2 secondaries, giving each motor its own secondary. What make do yo normally use. When you said the 60v ac was converted to DC would increase, i thought it would decrease if anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Barron View Post
    Hi,
    Do you use single secondary transformers withe the drives in parallel or 2 secondaries, giving each motor its own secondary. What make do yo normally use. When you said the 60v ac was converted to DC would increase, i thought it would decrease if anything?
    No, I use a single transformer with 2 x 30Vac secondary's. I buy them from Airlink transformers or whoever happens to have the size or spec I require.

When AC is rectified to DC you multiply the AC by 1.4 to get the DC voltage.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    No, I use a single transformer with 2 x 30Vac secondary's. I buy them from Airlink transformers or whoever happens to have the size or spec I require.

When AC is rectified to DC you multiply the AC by 1.4 to get the DC voltage.
    Hi Dean,
    thanks for the Airlink transformers tip, i prefer to buy from manufacturers because they generally offer technical help. Their price was good and i ordered a 20amp thermister for the inrush current.

Thread Information