. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You'll hate me for saying this - I threw one of those away a while back (was originally attached to a Denford Starmill).

I thought (could be wrong - you know my memory!) your motor was rated at 120VDC?

[QUOTE=Doddy;123436]You'll hate me for saying this - I threw one of those away a while back (was originally attached to a Denford Starmill).
    /QUOTE]

Have just added you to my "Hate " list

Lenze controller output is 170v dc (to armature) with a seperate field output if needed although this is a permanent magnet motor so field not used and up to 12 A . No details on the motor at all.

Was just looking for starmill motor details but unable to find .

i built my own but you can find similar to what i'm using looking up 60v pwm controller, not sure what voltage yours will be but i've seen over 100 intended for those spindles on routers

Turns out that when I blew the cheap chinese controller I took out the Bob too, so when I installed the new driver strange things went on including motor running slow , pulsing on and off . When I checked volts at the relay and pot terminals the motor started and the circuit breaker in the machine blew. Alsofound that the the Bob relay was continually made . Replaced BoB and tried again and this time the controller does not work at all . I dont know whether it is duff or whether I have blown that too. They are unisolated units with a floating pot input like lenze so not suitable to connect the pwm direct from the computer . I hadnt been bothered as I hoped to use the DIYCNC board to overcome that but now when ordering a replacement and after some consideration I have decided to go for this .
    https://inverterdrive.com/group/DC-T...0-Isolated-1Q/

A bit more pricey but will take the computer pwm output
    Arriving tomorrow so will have another go then.

Amazingly the new driver arrived today ( Sunday lunchtime via Dpd) so installed and tested .
    Works a treat.
    It is neat, isolated so should work with pwm staight from BoB , and has lots of options for trimming ramp speed, max speed max current so all in all I am pleased with it .

Having some difficulty getting the spindle speed control working in Linux . (am sure we will get there) but going back to mach tomorrow just to prove to myself that The spindle index function is still working OK there , in which case it should be configurable in linux.

One thing which concerns me and am not sure if it is my mistake , but if I havent yet switched on my computer but have switched on the machine , the spindle relay is energised ,
    This means that the spindle runs with no call for it to do so .
    Is this a general problem or is it me ??
    Why is the spindle relay energised when there is no demand for that.????

John11668,

I have recently had a problem where my spindle started unexpectedly after the LinuxCNC PC closed down when I didn't expect it to. I suspect it was the cheap Chinese BOB that closed it's relay with the lack of a definite ON or OFF voltage from the computer. I plan to add an interlock switch to the spindle control which will interrupt the line from the relay and protect against spurious starts during tool changing.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

John,

If that DIYCNC board is the one with the dodgy PSU (private conversation) - that has a charge-pump circuit on it which, if enabled, will inhibit the outputs until it detects the charge-pump signal (just a toggling signal) from linuxCNC. That might be an easy win for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    John11668,

I have recently had a problem where my spindle started unexpectedly after the LinuxCNC PC closed down when I didn't expect it to. I suspect it was the cheap Chinese BOB that closed it's relay with the lack of a definite ON or OFF voltage from the computer. I plan to add an interlock switch to the spindle control which will interrupt the line from the relay and protect against spurious starts during tool changing.
    Hi Kitwn
    I can own up to having a cheap chinese board (one of several)
    If I shut down Mach3 the spindle pulses .
    With the same board I shut down Linux cnc and the spindle runs, and would run forever unless I turn off the mains to the machine. The only difference is that Mach runs through a UC100 controller but the computer is switched off .
    Linux runs through PP but once again the computer is off.
    When I switch on the relay light on the Bob is illuminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    John,

If that DIYCNC board is the one with the dodgy PSU (private conversation) - that has a charge-pump circuit on it which, if enabled, will inhibit the outputs until it detects the charge-pump signal (just a toggling signal) from linuxCNC. That might be an easy win for you.
    Hi doddy
    I killed that board a while ago , Cant remember what I did to it. Maybe it was when I blew up the 12v PSU
    I seem to have blown up more things than Blaster Bates.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6otv8fyaG8

Is there a cheap replacement out there? (I have ancestors from yorkshire) or do you want to see if you can revive this board again

Quote Originally Posted by John11668 View Post
    Hi Kitwn
    I can own up to having a cheap chinese board (one of several)
    If I shut down Mach3 the spindle pulses .
    With the same board I shut down Linux cnc and the spindle runs, and would run forever unless I turn off the mains to the machine. The only difference is that Mach runs through a UC100 controller but the computer is switched off .
    Linux runs through PP but once again the computer is off.
    When I switch on the relay light on the Bob is illuminated.
    It might be possible to prevent this problem by fitting a resistor somewhere on the BOB to pull the relay control line to ground but without a circuit diagram it would be difficult to work out where it should go. Under normal working conditions you don't expect the PC to shut down suddenly but a safety interlock for tool changing is definately a good idea. I'm sure there is a discussion about this on the forum from a year or two back.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information