How long is a piece of string?! I’m after some rough guide feeds and speeds because I find myself just making stuff up. These feed and speed calculators seem to throw up some strange figures to me. To be honest I don’t think I’m wildly out there as I’ve had no broken bits and they all feel cool or just slightly warm after operations.

So here are a few specs just for a ball park figure. “Listen tool the tool” is commonly used. Mine all sound fine bar the long 4mm compression EM which always squeals.

I tend to cut at tool diameter depth. Pretty much hardwood. Always pick 18000 rpm and usually somewhere between 1500mm/min and 2500mm/min. The lower end is for smaller tools of 2mm and very fine v bits and the higher end for the 6mm bits. God knows why!

My machine is from JazzCNC (in machine discussion thread) so although not industrial, it’s a solid lump that could take a bit of stick.

So I’m after just a rough guess. 2mm, 4mm, 6mm in hardwood feeds and speeds. I can fill in the gaps! Find myself feeling less and less knowledgeable.