. .
    Hello all,
    Long term viewing of the site who has recently signed up.
    Been doing the research over the last few months in purchasing a CNC machine.
    Originally was thinking an xcarve or a shapeoko however more recently considering jumping those hobby units and going for a more resilient unit for the build quality and increased speed Budget up to 5k with software on top of that (vcarve)
    Interested in anyone that might have any experience with perhaps an AVID or the Itech Q Series?
    I've seen some amazing custom built machines on here... but perhaps a bit wary of machines that aren't as mass produced for reasons of support, backup etc?
    Appreciate any thoughts?

You don't say what you want it for, but assuming it is for serious hobby cutting of wood and perhaps a bit of aluminium, then I shared my thought a little while ago in THIS thread. My conclusions was that the best commercial solution for me was the 6090Q Itech from Scott and Sargent as it is the same machine as badged Laguna IQ in the US. A sound steel, linear rail and ballscrew mechanical unit, whilst electronics likely to be weaker. The 4inch travel beyond the bed is valuable for machining ends of boards.

Avid are kits and must be imported from US however othe popular hobby brands Axiom and I2r are both available via StoneyCNC in UK and might be reasonable solutions with support available.

I came here as self build appeared to offer a saving of £2-3k, and allow better tailoring of spec but is not a trivial undertaking. So when JazzCNC offered to build a batch of 6090 small machines I quickly put name down.

Hope some of that helps, good luck with your decision making.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrewg For This Useful Post:

Andrew,

Thank you so much for your reply. Very helpful...
    I was very interested in the Laguna CNC as I'm buying one of their table saws, but Laguna UK didn't do the CNC machine - interesting that the itech is a rebadged Laguna!
    When you say the electronics are likely to be weaker, in what way do you mean?

Avid are a no go as once you price everything up it becomes extortionate!
    My requirements are for wood cutting in a low commercial capacity, templating, sign writing etc.

I'm becoming quite aware thanks to this site and its members that the self build option has major advantages and I've reached out to JazzCNC to see if theres any room left on that list!

Cheers,
    James

Well strictly speaking both are badged versions built by Quick CNC of China (they have their own website). As a woodworker I certainly rate Laguna machines though I believe they are all badged Chinese built machines but speced by them.

Welcome to the JazzCNC appreciation society! Frank views and sound machines delivered with that distinctive northern charm.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrewg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewg View Post
    Welcome to the JazzCNC appreciation society! Frank views and sound machines delivered with that distinctive northern charm.
    Opp's I've done it again Andrew in that other thread.!! . . . Argh well the truth never killed anyone, even if it does sting a bit...
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Thread Information