. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello everyone,
    Could I ask for recommendations for a powerful - and if possible not to noisy - vacuum cleaner to use with a cyclone and a dust bucket?
    I will also want to connect it to a dust shoe when i get round to making one.
    Our old Dyson Animal has lost some of it's suck!
    Thanks...Chris

In spite of the hype, Dyson's do actually have filters in them which need to be cleaned regularly for maximum suck. There might be life in the old beast yet!

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitwn For This Useful Post:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    If it's a Dyson, strip the cyclone section down and give it all a wash. IIRC there's a ring of screws that hold it all together.
    They eventually clog up, especially if they've been used for anything damp/sticky, which wood dust can be.
    And give the filters a wash out at the same time.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

I've been using one of these for a few years now. Stands a lot of abuse, and at that price when it does eventually blow up, I'll just bin it and get another one. I seem to remember getting the optional filter for it - like a car air cleaner filter element. It just gets cleaned from time to time - can't remember now why the original element isn't as good, it's so long since I got it! But it's not quiet. Not horrendous but I wear ear defenders more for the vacuum cleaner than the CNC router...

BTW, watching your video - I wouldn't bother slowing the ramp speed with cuts like that. Just ramp in at the usual cutting speed. Probably could take a bit more depth of cut as well as more cutting speed, but if you're still feeling your way with the machine, I can understand a bit of caution! And it throws the dust and chips even further...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Thanks Neale, i'm definitely still feeling my way with the machine and software etc for that matter. Didn't alter much g code wise from what fusion 360 CAM spat out. Other than adding G91.1 and G54 commands because it just wouldn't work from the original post process. I certainly need to learn more about feeds and speeds to improve on efficiency. Each one of these cuts took 8 minutes but it felt much longer chasing the cutter around with an old dyson. I need to get a little more organised!

I have been using the Wickes vac for a while now (about 7 years) and waiting for the noisy bugger to blow up, but it seems pretty good still. I have a cyclone and bucket (actually a large glass jar) and I recently replaced it with a transparent lidded bucket, but that spectacularly imploded the first time I tried it when I blocked the inlet with my hand.

I have a small drum filter from an ash bucket on the top of the cyclone, in a 3d printed enclosure. This stops anything the cyclone doesn't and when the vac stops anything in it drops down through the cyclone into the collection bin. This keeps the main vac filter clean enough to consider not having it. So that might be put on the project list (to cut down the vac to a basic air mover to save space).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02549.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	279.4 KB 
ID:	29608

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cropwell For This Useful Post:

Big fan of Nilfisk myself, concocted this from bits bought from fleabay, the cyclone is mounted in the middle section. The nilfisk motors are continuously rated, not too noisy and will run 10hrs non stop, not many domestic vacs will do that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dust extractor.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	29618  

12. The Following User Says Thank You to johnsattuk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by johnsattuk View Post
    Big fan of Nilfisk myself, concocted this from bits bought from fleabay, the cyclone is mounted in the middle section. The nilfisk motors are continuously rated, not too noisy and will run 10hrs non stop, not many domestic vacs will do that.
    Looks like something the Russians would have sent into space around 1958

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitwn For This Useful Post:

These look like good machines!

I’ve been using a Henry for years. Quiet, cheap (£120), good suction, simple to clean out. I had intended to build or buy a cyclone or just simple in - out intermediate bucket but never got around to it. Just the Henry works great.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

17. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information