. .
    I'm not great with the electrical stuff and was wanting to have a second opinion. Can this Schneider Altivar 12 ATV12H018M2

https://www.se.com/uk/en/product/dow...df/ATV12H018M2

Run this 3 phase electric motor and make it go forward and in reverse?

https://docs.rs-online.com/8910/A700000007102309.pdf

I'm trying not to complicate things to much but if these will work can I add a braking resistor?

Thank for the help.

I would say not, as the VFD is 0.18KW and the motor is 0.37KW - could generate magic blue smoke.

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 23 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 423. Received thanks 61 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Well it would work but only up to half power. These things limit the phase current once you reach the design limit which will correspond to a a certain torque level. Speaking as someone who develops VFDs in my day job.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Muzzer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzer View Post
    Well it would work but only up to half power. These things limit the phase current once you reach the design limit which will correspond to a a certain torque level. Speaking as someone who develops VFDs in my day job.
    That's good to know. A year or two back I heard of a nameless Chinese clone VFD that had failed when being errrm, pushed rather hard - yours are obviously designed much better!

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 23 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 423. Received thanks 61 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Haha yes, some of the Chinesium jobbies may "not be quite as robust as you might hope". My inverters here (Yaskawa and Xtravert) will trip out if the phase current exceeds the rated values entered at setup. They are supposed to protect the motor and themselves against overload (excess phase current and dissipation).

Note that if you don't implement the nameplate values (on the motor) correctly you may magnetically saturate the machine. That's more about getting the voltage and frequency right than the phase current. Saturation results in motor inductance dropping off suddenly which can lead to uncontrolled phase currents and can be difficult to protect against, whereas overload "simply" leads to overheating.

Thread Information