Hello my name is Alex and I'm investigating the idea of purchasing a cheap hobby cnc router to make simple circular wooden lids for the glass container candles we sell.

The lids would be around 100mm diameter and 16 ml thick and made of either softwood or MDF. I might put a lip into them or even engrave on top but for now I just need a decent circle.

I wonder which CNC machine would be best for the job ( if any). My budget is £3-400 so would the 3018 pro be up to the job with its 200w motor? I also noticed that there are a group of machines which are known as 3040 and seem to be more expensive but I wonder what the real difference is between the two. Also what rpm or wattage should I look for for best performance? I was looking at a budget of around £300 but I would consider up to £500 if it made a big difference to the speed and suitability to my needs.

I realize it will take time and patience to get everything going but I wonder if the workflow can typically be streamlined to make say 10 simple lids a day? I'm happy to sand off the edges if need be. I don't know how long it would take to cut out this 100 ml circle with a hobby machine like the one I mentioned or how easy it is to reset for the next batch if I do two at a time?

Another specification is I need to be able to send the code from the pc in my lounge to the CNC in the garage either wirelessly or by dongle.

Im choosing to go down the cnc route because I would enjoy using it as a hobby besides also having the functionality of fabricating candle lids as well.

Perhaps there is a better choice of machine than the 3018 within budget but any pointers would be much appreciated.