. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Now I've done a quick search I see that an Xcarve runs via an arduino.I know almost nothing about them,beyond having bought a couple for experimenting when I was deciding what software would be best for driving my machine.I didn't like the brave new world of sketches and writing them so I bought the box and monitor from ebay for a total of £28 to run LinuxCNC on my homebrew machine.Other than being a bit bulky I am very happy with the solution because I also installed Freecad on it and configured the post processor to generate the correct code.I can also listen to online radio as its just within wifi range of the house.Although it might attract a bit of tut-tutting,I can model the part and listen to the radio while the computer is running the machine.I can also halt the program and edit feed rate if I wish,without having to wander indoors and take a footful of sawdust with me.All with a 2.7GHz dual core box with 4Gb Ram.

I really don't recommend putting blanks on the machine with an approach that says they could still be firewood if anything goes wrong.At some point in the early stages it [I]will [I] go wrong .You need to determine a way to unravel the situation before ever doing any machining.Pressing Estop should stop the spindle being moved,will it stop the cutter turning?Then you need to know how to disengage Estop and get the stub of the cutter out of the mess.You might be able to jog the machine back to it's home position and re-home it or you might find it wise to check the tramming of the spindle.To start with;simulate and watch carefully then run the first sequence or two in fresh air then maybe progress to polystyrene or similar foam.When you are happy that the piece coming off the machine will be what you intend it to be and the machine will still be in working order its time to make sawdust.

My firewood comment was very tongue in cheek... Do intend to take the whole process seriously... Some excellent points RouterD... In fact I'm going to need to go over all the responses so far and make some notes... in an old fashioned pencil and notebook way... of key points and advice.
    I cannot believe the amazing responses compared to the FB pages... which essentially have been non existent.
    Yep... like the idea of a radio... My garage (not big) doubles as workshop and gym... have a discarded (by one of my sons) 32" HD tv with usb and hdmi inputs... been thinking of wall mounting that as a sort of extra monitor...can also access radio thru it... far less distracting than tv

I'm guessing that having made an intro on the new members pages I should be moving more into the other discussion areas... Tried to make a post on one of the other pages... but everything came up blank.... Am I doing something wrong???
    Oh!.... The first part of my x carve style kit arrived today (Tues)... the actual makita router... the rest should arrive tomorrow (Wed 16/03).... Yay.
    Oh... and to all the responses received to my introduction... so much information and advice.

Exciting times!Any progress with creating designs and simulating toolpaths?

Not yet.... my tablet (Samsung isn't upto running the software, my old HP totally incapable of running the software and my County supplied Lenovo Thinkpad I don't have administration rights to install software... My elder son... B Sc in computer science and a very well paid software engineer for a currency company says I need a new laptop... I was going to buy a sort of newish s/h one from fleabay... but got outbid on a promising one...BUT... here's the good bit... my son says he is going to buy me a new one in the easter IT sales... he is a very generous and good hearted lad (earns by far more than me)...So I will have to wait...heh heh.... Meanwhile my younger son is already planning on how we can use the machine, once we learn how.... to make some electric guitar bodies, and possibly necks and fret boards.... He has about 7 or 8 here at home and another half dozen in LA... Both my lads have returned to the family compound since the start of this covid business.... I also need to build a new shed... Which I'm doing from scratch to replace a little tinny... this will create added storage and or work space... I've designed a shed and can build it ... with a concrete floor not wood... for a fraction of the cost of a pre manufactured shed.

If guitars are a consideration,take a look at this video it takes a lot of the legwork out of the process.You still need to learn the machining part and could watch the machine cutting air or foam before committing a piece of quality hardwood to the machine.

Hello Router D.... Excellent advice... will watch the clip closely... I think my son should be forming a band... heh heh heh.

Tried to put a new thread on General Discussion... Wouldn't let me ??? Am back onn this thread again so I know I'm logged in.

My machine finally arrived last week... DPD could not deliver it... They simply could not. They said they had no contact details for me and could not collect the VAT on import owing. Yet I exchanged well over a dozen, probably two dozen emails with them... All they coulddo was to send it back to the seller I bought it from. He sent me a replacement straightaway while the first was on the way back... This came via Fedex... They had no problems collecting the import VAT and had it to me, tout suite.

I have not assembled my machine yet... My first step is to build a work station for it to go on... This makes sense to me rather than build the machine and then put it to one side while I make a work station. Have made detailed drawings based upon a work station I saw on You Tube... Once complete this will give me a surface on which to build my machine... I'd upload photos of my design, but cannot see how this is done... Hmm... still can't post to general chat or other pages.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information