. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    Thanks, Ive just read his Denford Mirac refurbishment thread but couldn't see what the white paint was.

looking at his work I think it will have to be sprayed tho rather than hand painted, looks like new.
    He's had a few different threads, but I can't remember what thread paint types were discussed on.
    I'm pretty sure he does spray most stuff, but with a bit practise and the right paint, you can get a good finish without having spraying.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    I'm leaning towards the single pack enamels like Tractol at the moment and may try roller first to see what the finish is like.

Because I haven't been able to get it blasted im a bit concerned about the rust. sanded and scotchbrited but obviously its still there in places. Is it worth spraying with cold galvanised first to seal or just use red lead or the products primer.?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    You could use some rust converter.

I've used POR15 metal prep in the past, and if you can keep the rust wet for a few days with occasional agitation, it will dissolve all rust.
    It'll even dissolve rust in pores that blasting can't get to.

Alternatively if you can find a suitable container, a few hours electrolysis will also dissolve rust.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    I have been looking at the POR 15 products and they have been recommended a few times.

I've seen a few machinery enamels that can be thinned by white spirit, and are much cheaper. Are these likely to be as hard wearing as the other enamels?

Also looking at PPG selemix 7-610, as I think I can get that locally, its a synthetic enamel so the thinner is pricey, but cant find out if it is oil resistant for the using flood coolant.

Quote Originally Posted by Voicecoil View Post
    I've had some reasonable results painting stuff myself, but the most durable results have always been when I've been able to dry the paint at elevated temperature or used 2 pack formulations.
    Was that a 2 pack epoxy or enamel? any product names?

The 2 pack I've used is polyurethane - great stuff BUT YOU MUST WEAR APPROPRIATE PPE WHEN SPRAYING otherwise you will be really quite ill for a long time. I can't recall the manufacturer of it (was a few years ago), but seem to remember that it came from Germany. I've never used the epoxy myself, but a friend did and said it gave a very durable finish. Some quick googling turned up this stuff which seems pretty reasonable: https://www.taindustrialpaints.co.uk...pular-colours/
    I've found drying at elevated temp. helps with pretty well all air dry paint types whether it's enamel out of a tin from the local paint dealer or even stuff in an aerosol: I don't think it's by chance that a lot of industrial finishes are referred to as "stoving enamel". Mind you the weather is generally cold and damp up here, not the best conditions for drying stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information