. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    My Boxford has finally moved up the list of priority list and is in the process of being overhauled and retrofitted with Linux cnc.

Its almost stripped but not sure how to refinish it so looking for options. ideally i want to send it out for blasting and powder coat but think it might be too big and pricey.

What are the brush/roller enamel paints like ? can you get a good finish and do they last?

You can certainly get a bad finish - I can attest to that. Mind you I can only pick up the right end of a brush 50% of the time. What I'm saying is, you certainly have to know what you're doing and prep well. They do last well though (at least my dried-on drips refuse to leave the machine).

I've had some reasonable results painting stuff myself, but the most durable results have always been when I've been able to dry the paint at elevated temperature or used 2 pack formulations.

Lives in St Annes on the Sea, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 52 Minutes Ago Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 159. Received thanks 19 times, giving thanks to others 6 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voicecoil View Post
    I've had some reasonable results painting stuff myself, but the most durable results have always been when I've been able to dry the paint at elevated temperature or used 2 pack formulations.
    Plus one for the two pack paint. Much much more durable. Use it outside and keep up wind and a normal ppe mask is ok for occasional use
    If you can pick a warm day even better. Etch primer is also a must

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    You probably don't want to get it blasted, as machines of that era often used a layer of filler to smooth the castings.

Good degrease, sand back, and some machine enamel usually provides good results.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Thanks for the advice. I couldn't upload any photos last night but it is a Boxfod 250F with the sheet steel enclosure. the lathe would be fully removed.

However I think have underestimated how heavy it is even when empty and will be a mare to transport and work on.

Probably going to scrape/sand down and then spray or roller with enamel.

Is the tractol paint any good? or stick with Paragon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210310_225139resized.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	298.4 KB 
ID:	29707

I think I've established my credentials as a paint drip installation technician. But faced with that I'd be exploring spray-gun technologies. Paragon is good and well established. Never heard of, or tried Tractol.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Tractol is an enamel paint, and traditionally popular amongst tractor owners.
    There are quite a few suppliers of enamel paint.

Somewhat topical - https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/...-gloss.110427/
    awemawson is someone I know who loves to refurbish machines, and has discussed paint types on at least one of his threads on madmodder if you want to lose an hour or two down that rabbit hole.

For sheet work, I'd either be looking at spraying, or foam roller.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post

Somewhat topical - https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/...-gloss.110427/
    awemawson is someone I know who loves to refurbish machines, and has discussed paint types on at least one of his threads on madmodder if you want to lose an hour or two down that rabbit hole.
    Thanks, Ive just read his Denford Mirac refurbishment thread but couldn't see what the white paint was.

looking at his work I think it will have to be sprayed tho rather than hand painted, looks like new.

These people do a good range, including Boxford colours. I would check that you are buying an oil resistant enamel though.
    https://www.stationaryengineparts.co...inery-Colours/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information