. .
    Can anyone recommend an encoder that has an A, B and Z channel that has over 4000 counts per revolution (the more the better). I've been looking for about a week now but can't find them in the UK. I'm sure there are loads but I have looked and can't find them. If anyone could recommend any that would be great.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    British Encoders ( encoder.co.uk )will be able to supply what you need, but they won't be that cheap.

I think I've still got got an encoder kicking around somewhere, that I bought from Zapp a few years ago.
    Just a had quick email search for the order, and the part no is ISC3806-001G-1024BZ1-5L, and it's 1024 line, so 4096cpr.
    If you're interested, I'll have a rummage in the workshop tomorrow night, as I have no idea where it would have ended up during last years major workshop rearrange.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thanks for the reply. If you do find something that will work I'd be interested. I'll look up British encoders. I guessing they know their stuff so if I message the they can tell me what will work?

Alternative thought. I had a similar, but lesser need (went for a 360ppr encoder), and slaved a board inline which on start-up established a synthetic 'Z' pulse (basically, counts the quadrature signals continually and generates a Z pulse once in 360 etc), passing the original A/B input through to the output. One advantage was in establishing this I was able to use RS485 line drivers for the new A/B/Z output drivers which were pretty much impedance matched to the differential inputs on the Mesa 7i76E board I was interfacing to. I'd hazard a guess for any incremental encoder would do just the same.

Just an alternative if you struggle to find an affordable encoder with a Z output.

I have a Chinesium encoder on my Centroid Acorn machine. They are available in various PPRs.

Here's the one I got. If you can wait for it to turn up, these are cheap enough and mine has worked fine for the last 3 years. They even come with a free "Omron" label!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...pping&_sacat=0

I made a blog post about it for my records: https://mightyshiz.blogspot.com/2018...dle-motor.html
    Last edited by Muzzer; 12-03-2021 at 05:52 PM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	encoder1.png 
Views:	125 
Size:	379.4 KB 
ID:	29715
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	encoder2.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	364.4 KB 
ID:	29716

If it's off any use, make me an offer.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thread Information