. .

Thread: Strange problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This one has me puzzled, maybe someone can help?

I am setting up a new laser engraver, using GRBL, Arduino UNO and CNC shield. The shield has a double Y using cloned A driver.

I had all the setting done correctly I thought, I could move the machine in all the correct directions and then I came to doing the homing.
    I pressed the homing button and all moved in the right directions, Z was OK, Y gave a problem (not worked that one out yet) and X didn't complete due to Y having the problem. I will check out all the wiring and connections tomorrow when I have more time as it is late here now.
    The strange problem is that after trying to home, the X and Y axis will now only move in a positive direction, no matter which direction I try to move in. The Z will work OK in both directions.
    I reset the program (LaserGRBL) and I even closed the program and restated it again, shut the computer and the machine down and restated them again, but still the problem persists.
    I am at a loss to work out what has happened. I guess I wont get much sleep tonight thinking about it.

Lives in Southampton, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 469. Received thanks 100 times, giving thanks to others 43 times. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Is the direction that they now only move in the same direction as they move when homing?

It may just be that the settings are all screwed until it completes a homing cycle correctly. e.g the machine thinks its in some stupid position, and will only move towards it's expected correct range. Maybe X thinks its at -1000 and knows its only allowed to be -500 to +500, so will only move +ve until it thinks it reaches -500.

First thing to try is disabling soft limits. That should prevent the system babysitting your positioning.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    Is the direction that they now only move in the same direction as they move when homing?

It may just be that the settings are all screwed until it completes a homing cycle correctly. e.g the machine thinks its in some stupid position, and will only move towards it's expected correct range. Maybe X thinks its at -1000 and knows its only allowed to be -500 to +500, so will only move +ve until it thinks it reaches -500.

First thing to try is disabling soft limits. That should prevent the system babysitting your positioning.
    I am able to travel positive and negative until I do a homing. The homing is travelling in the negative direction. After homing I can travel only in positive directions, regardless of which direction I choose.
    I checked the wiring this morning and found that the Y axis limit was badly connected. This caused the homing fail. I fixed that and was able to home successfully after that, but the X and Y will still only travel in the positive direction, even if I select negative travel.
    I disabled homing and soft limits, and tried again after resetting the computer and the machine.
    After manually positioning the tool in the home position and setting zero X and Y, I am able to move in both directions no problem. But setting the travel lengths to the numbers shown on the screen, I am able to travel and stop in the correct positions and using the home button, return to the zero X Y that I set.
    Once I turn on homing the problem starts again, so it must be something to do with the homing setup I think. I checked the limit switches and they are all OK now.
    The homing direction is correct for my machine, but maybe it isn't?? I am homing to the front lefthand corner.
    Last edited by regpye; 17-03-2021 at 01:20 AM. Reason: additional information

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post

Do you think this could be a software problem or a firmware or hardware problem?
    Can move in all correct directions right up until I do a homing. The homing completes in the correct way, but after that I can only move in positive directions.

Quote Originally Posted by regpye View Post
    Do you think this could be a software problem or a firmware or hardware problem?
    Can move in all correct directions right up until I do a homing. The homing completes in the correct way, but after that I can only move in positive directions.
    Can you post the config file as that will help,otherwise we are just stabbing in the dark.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Can you post the config file as that will help,otherwise we are just stabbing in the dark.
    Good point; Here it is:

$0=10 (Step pulse time)
    $1=25 (Step idle delay)
    $2=0 (Step pulse invert)
    $3=5 (Step direction invert)
    $4=0 (Invert step enable pin)
    $5=0 (Invert limit pins)
    $6=0 (Invert probe pin)
    $10=19 (Status report options)
    $11=60.000 (Junction deviation)
    $12=0.002 (Arc tolerance)
    $13=0 (Report in inches)
    $20=0 (Soft limits enable)
    $21=0 (Hard limits enable)
    $22=0 (Homing cycle enable) I turned this off to do further tests.
    $23=3 (Homing direction invert)
    $24=1200.000 (Homing locate feed rate)
    $25=1000.000 (Homing search seek rate)
    $26=144 (Homing switch debounce delay)
    $27=3.000 (Homing switch pull-off distance)
    $30=1000 (Maximum spindle speed)
    $31=0 (Minimum spindle speed)
    $32=0 (Laser-mode enable) I turned this off so I could test the laser without motion
    $100=40.000 (X-axis travel resolution)
    $101=40.000 (Y-axis travel resolution)
    $102=80.000 (Z-axis travel resolution)
    $110=10000.000 (X-axis maximum rate)
    $111=10000.000 (Y-axis maximum rate)
    $112=1000.000 (Z-axis maximum rate)
    $120=1000.000 (X-axis acceleration)
    $121=1000.000 (Y-axis acceleration)
    $122=100.000 (Z-axis acceleration)
    $130=840.000 (X-axis maximum travel)
    $131=420.000 (Y-axis maximum travel)
    $132=75.000 (Z-axis maximum travel)

To me its strange that there seems to be no individual setting for X and Y inverts etc.

re
    $3=5 (Step direction invert) ... Is 5 the correct number ? I would have thought 0 or 1 !!
    $5=0 (Invert limit pins)

$20=0 (Soft limits enable) ... Is this enabled or disabled ?

Sorry I don't know much about GRBL
    ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    To me its strange that there seems to be no individual setting for X and Y inverts etc.

re
    $3=5 (Step direction invert) ... Is 5 the correct number ? I would have thought 0 or 1 !!
    $5=0 (Invert limit pins)

$20=0 (Soft limits enable) ... Is this enabled or disabled ?

Sorry I don't know much about GRBL
    You need to view the table that comes with GRBL to work out that question about $3=5 It is actually settings for reversing the XYZ motor directions without having to physically doing it with the wiring.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	250.0 KB 
ID:	29731

anything equal to =0 means disabled, =1 is enabled , other numbers are from the table above and are used in several of the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by regpye View Post
    You need to view the table that comes with GRBL to work out that question about $3=5 It is actually settings for reversing the XYZ motor directions without having to physically doing it with the wiring.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	250.0 KB 
ID:	29731

anything equal to =0 means disabled, =1 is enabled , other numbers are from the table above and are used in several of the settings.
    Ah but the table did not show up in my crystal ball
    ..Clive

I am not getting many replies, so I stripped down all the wiring and started again.
    This time I only wired the stepper motors and the limit switches.
    I turned off homing in the configuration to do the first test. The X and Y motors needed reversing, so instead of changing the configuration file, I physically changed the wiring so that the motors moved in the right directions. I made sure that $3=0
    The test showed that the machine can move in all correct directions if I move the laser head to the "wanted" home position first by hand.
    All working well so far.
    Next I turned on the homing and set it as default of $23=0. The test showed that the machine was trying to home in the top right-hand corner, which is not where the limit switches are, so I stopped everything and changed $23=3 which should be the bottom left-hand corner.
    I rebooted everything and did another test. The homing went correctly, Z lifted up, double bounced and then the X an Y proceeded to the lower left-hand corner, The Y stopped first and waited until the X reached the limit, stopped and both did a double bounce. All seems normal, no warnings from LaserGRBL.
    I then tried making a movement, and I could move both X and Y in the positive directions, but when I tried to go negative again, that is returning to home, the movements were both in the positive directions again.
    This has got me really beat, I feel I have checked everything and just can't work out what is going on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information