Hello, I am new to the CNC world, I am a graphic designer who enjoys building stuff and tinkering with the oily bits of old cars…

I am looking to build a machine that is suitable for hardwood and occasional light use with soft metals. I started looking at off the shelf solutions such as the Workbee and Shapeoko machines I am seeing mixed reviews and they are not exactly cheap for something that I will likely outgrow. I also saw many suggestions of building a CNC from scratch, I am pretty handy with a welder and steel is cheap and strong so I think this is the best route for me.

I am planning on building the below machine out of 60x40mm box section 4mm thick, with the gantry and z axis support being 40x40mm 4mm thick steel using epoxy to bring everything into tolerance. The plate for the Z axis is planned to be 5mm thick.

All rails are planned to be 15mm from BST Motion on Ali Express (marked red on the screenshot below). The ballscrews (also from BST) are marked green, I was planning on using 1610 for the X and Y axis and a 1204 for the Z axis.

For drive motors I plan on using 265oz 2.8amp Nema 23 for the X and Y axis and a 175oz on the Z axis. Then run it through an Openbuilds BlackBox for control (all from Ooznest). Then use either a 1.5kw or 2.2kw liquid cooled spindle from BST.

This screenshot is a work in progress, I am also new to Fusion 360 but it isn't so different from the adobe stuff I have used previously. I still need to add supports/brackets for motors/ballscrews, carriages for the rails and work on the Z axis further.

Does this look like some sort of workable plan or do I need to have a rethink? Any comments, advice or constructive criticism welcomed…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-17 at 22.32.00.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	212.0 KB 
ID:	29728