. .

Thread: USB shielding

After swapping out 2 mice, I have realised what the problem is........ I have 2 PCs in my workshop. 1 dedicated CNC PC and another I do my designing and faffing on. When my CNC is doing is cutting I tend to do stuff on my other machine. However, the USB keyboard and mouse work really badly when the CNC is on. Must be some interference.

Before I start trying my own crazy ideas like wrapping the cables in foil and wearing a colander on my head, is there any better solutions to this?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Have you checked your workshop has a good earth?
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

.... and are the cables to the (stepper?) motors and spindle on the CNC shielded?

Quote Originally Posted by Voicecoil View Post
    .... and are the cables to the (stepper?) motors and spindle on the CNC shielded?
    Yes, I built the machine, everything is shielded and star ground.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Does it happen when the CNC is moving with the spindle off? How about when the spindle is running but the CNC is stationary?

Are these wired keyboards and mice or wireless ones? Can you try swapping to a wireless/wired set?

Are there any EMI filters on the VFD? Might be worth spending £2 and getting one for the VFD and one for the PC's kettle lead.

You know what..... I think I’ve demonstrated my stupidity to all... on further testing it’s my dust extraction. I just made the assumption it was the cnc as clearly the dust extraction is always on when that is.

I only realised this when I had my little lad hoovering my shop floor while I was on the pc. That’s the only time the dust extraction has been on when the cnc wasn’t and I’ve been using the pc!

So to rephrase my question, with a wired mouse and keyboard, how do I stop the interference issue when my dust collection is on?

You've found it, that's the point.
    You could try a ferrite sleeve round the mains lead to the PC. Cheap and simple to fit. Something like this...

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ferri...2489/?sra=pstk

RS have a range of sizes. Look for one that's a close fit on your mains lead.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

......or even on the mains lead for the extractor, as close to it as possible. Often with EMI issues, prevention is better than cure: if you can stop it radiating, then you don't need to shield from it. Does the motor in your extractor make quite a howling noise? If so it'll be a high speed series wound motor and the interference is likely from sparking on the brushes. There are suppressor modules (resistor + cap) around that normally ought to be fitted on a quality motor of that type.

Thread Information