. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post

CNC isn't really about bespoke, one-off items anyway. It takes many hours of thought and designing, experimenting and learning to make a single new widget. Then you make another one in ten minutes and a dozen more by lunchtime.

Kit
    I think we’re all different here. I’m using my cnc for precisely the one off items at the moment. I can certainly see how repeatability is one of its fortes, but I’m utilising it’s super accuracy and ability to cut precision exactly where I want it. Something that is beyond me and a blunt chisel !

Maybe when I find that winning item, I’ll cut 100 of them

Quote Originally Posted by Pilsbury View Post
    I think we’re all different here. I’m using my cnc for precisely the one off items at the moment. I can certainly see how repeatability is one of its fortes, but I’m utilising it’s super accuracy and ability to cut precision exactly where I want it. Something that is beyond me and a blunt chisel !

Maybe when I find that winning item, I’ll cut 100 of them
    Everything I've made so far has been one-off but the potential is there to make many copies of that winning item as you say. The trick is knowing what that winning item actually is. Anyone want to buy a USB-powered wooden pendulum clock that's as accurate as a quartz watch?

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

I’m looking for someone to cut some simple designs for me. I’m wanting to start a small business selling wall hanging art and I can’t afford the machine just yet. I’d also like to test the market with some of my ideas.

I’m getting my head around ‘easel’ as we speak so hoping to be able to create the files for someone like yourself to then cut for me.

Looking at 3 or 4mm plywood as the material (using birch plywood in easel mainly because it’s there as an option).

The designs are different layers of an image that I then glue together and colour etc giving a 3d feel.

I have PM’d you Pilsbury, would love to chat more and see if it’s something you’d be interested in helping with.

The eventual goal if all goes well is to purchase a machine from Dean and produce them myself but that may take a while.

Happy to hear from anyone on here that may be interested to cut for me.

All the best.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Day Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke W View Post
    I’m looking for someone to cut some simple designs for me. I’m wanting to start a small business selling wall hanging art and I can’t afford the machine just yet. I’d also like to test the market with some of my ideas.

I’m getting my head around ‘easel’ as we speak so hoping to be able to create the files for someone like yourself to then cut for me.

Looking at 3 or 4mm plywood as the material (using birch plywood in easel mainly because it’s there as an option).

The designs are different layers of an image that I then glue together and colour etc giving a 3d feel.

I have PM’d you Pilsbury, would love to chat more and see if it’s something you’d be interested in helping with.

The eventual goal if all goes well is to purchase a machine from Dean and produce them myself but that may take a while.

Happy to hear from anyone on here that may be interested to cut for me.

All the best.
    For that thickness of ply, I'd look at laser cutting. It'll be quicker, and be less limiting in the shapes you can cut.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    For that thickness of ply, I'd look at laser cutting. It'll be quicker, and be less limiting in the shapes you can cut.
    Thanks m_c

Very interesting, I’ve already had a look and seen that an ‘Oculus’ laser cutting system might be what I need so I’ve emailed them for more info. I really appreciate that.

If any of you guys have a laser attachment for your CNC’s (I think I’ve read that’s an option on them?) then I’d still be interested to hear from anyone that may want to help whilst I’m starting up and without a machine.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    CNC isn't really about bespoke, one-off items anyway. It takes many hours of thought and designing, experimenting and learning to make a single new widget. Then you make another one in ten minutes and a dozen more by lunchtime.

Kit
    Bang Wrong there matey!
    Your point is valid for any simple things which are reasonably easily made quite cheaply on manual machines, for expensive things which are horribly complex to machine manually, CNC is a very appropriate way to go, and lucrative too.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Bang Wrong there matey!
    Your point is valid for any simple things which are reasonably easily made quite cheaply on manual machines, for expensive things which are horribly complex to machine manually, CNC is a very appropriate way to go, and lucrative too.
    Didn't see this the first time around but I 100% agree, many of the machines I've built have been for prototyping rather than mass production. This is one area where small CNC machines win over large production CNC machines because they are more cost-effective and efficient for one-off or small batch items.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Bang Wrong there matey!
    Yes, quite right! It's interesting trying to remember the exact mind-set you were in several weeks ago. I wouldn't expect me to have written that.

I'm coming at this from the hobbyist looking to fund his hobby by selling a few things rather than a serious engineer making complex machine parts but even at this level I would not have bothered to make even one wooden clock without my CNC router. The ability to quickly cut a modified pair of gears out of plywood or adjust the frame dimensions for a better placement of the driving coil etc. etc. is game-changing for coming up with a final design that's good enough to sell.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Spammer Reported!
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Spammer Reported!
    Thanks for reporting, all done :)
    .Me

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information